Toro Z253 Hydraulic Filter Damaged

paranoid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello lawnmowerforum!

I am having a problem with my 19 year old Toro Z253 zero turn mower. After mowing about 20 minutes the hydro on the right side starts to groan and looses power. While inspecting the belt, sheave, idler pulley and linkage I have noticed that the bottom of the hydraulic filter is damaged. The bottom of the filter is now caved in (concave instead of convex) like it was when I installed it last year. This is the third time in five years that this has happened. The first time It happened the bottom was not only caved in but also cracked and oil was all over my garage floor. Since my wife thinks she can mulch anything smaller than a baseball bat I assumed that the filter was damaged by mowing over a tree limb. Two years later while cleaning the mower I discovered the same type of damage so I replaced it again. Now the third time has got me thinking. Is it possible the pump creates low enough pressure (vacuum) to crater the bottom of the filter? Is the cap on the reservoir suppose to be vented and maybe clogged up?

The mower is 19 years old but has just less than 700 hours. I am using an authentic Toro hydro filter. This mower only has one Hydro filter. I have never changed the 15W-50 Mobile 1 synthetic oil but have added some when it was low.

I don't know if the damaged filter could result in the groaning and power loss on the right side without affecting the left side. Right now I think I will change the hydro oil and filter and see if anything changes. I would appreciate any thought that the community could provide. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, it is getting bashed in by something
See if you can fab up some sort of a guard for it and make sure the tyres are pumped up.

paranoid

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, it is getting bashed in by something
See if you can fab up some sort of a guard for it and make sure the tyres are pumped up.

Yep, I now know what is bashing the filter in. There was red paint on the bottom of the filter. Some of the bracing on the deck normally rides about two and a half inches below the filter. I am sure that will be pushed up further when a ditch bank is straddled. Too wet to mow today so it will be a few days before I know if I still have a problem with the hydros.