E110 or E100, Hydrostatic vs CVT transmissions- Toughness and Longevity ?

preventec47

Threads
  • / E110 or E100, Hydrostatic vs CVT transmissions- Toughness and Longevity ?
I bought a Husquavarna 2 weeks ago that I am having to return because of uneven cutting and so I thought
I would upgrade a little and consider a John Deere. Available to me are the E100 and E110. I have had rotten
luck lately with mowers since my snapper engine blew up. What I care about are of course good job of
cutting grass but then long life and reliability. Is the Hydrostatic deemed to out last the CVT tranny models ?

Honestly I reallly liked the Husquarvarna but the deck would move around and on an irregular unpredictable
basis scalp and gouge my yard so I am going to try the John Deere.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If that CVT your'e talkin about is the "PLASTIC" trans Mfd. by General Transmissions . RUN like HELL ! avoid it, many complaints about no parts availability when they break down... :thumbdown:..:thumbdown:..:thumbdown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like most easy or lazy things the hydros come with a sting in the tail.
They all have a finite service life and are very expensive to fit.
No one lists service hours but from the mowers I work on most of the lawn tractors seem to get 500 to 1000hours out of the trannys.
The garden tractors get around double the life from the trannies and the old REAL garden tractors ( replacable oil & spin on filters ) just about go forever
The vary drives run forever but require adjustments occasionally and of course you have to stop to change from forward to reverse.

The bigger the deck the more the tendency to scalp .
As for cut quality that is so subjective and has so may variables it is not funny.
Top of the list quality wise are the decks with timed blades and the best cut by a long way are the articulated up front mowers with timed blades.
Downside is they won't touch very long grass and really don't like sticks .
The small drive wheels make them prone to tipping over when you forget it is a mower & think it is a Nascar.

Next up are the commercials and a used clapped out commercial mower will beat a brand new lawn tractor hands down.
20 ? years ago the mower companies made cutting decks, bagging decks & mulching decks , then they went to removable baffels underneath to convert decks from one function to another and finally to the universal deck.
The modern universal deck really is universal
It cuts mediocre in the first place , bags poorly & mulches badly

Every mower that comes in for repairs gets a big road test before they go back.
The only mowers that leave a better finish than the 1966 8/32 Rover Rancher II were the articulated mowers, followed by the Walkers, followed by the Great Danes.
Each year the quality of the cut gets worse.
The mowers get faster , look prettier and have more essential items like drink holders but the actual quality of the cut goes down.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a Husquavarna 2 weeks ago that I am having to return because of uneven cutting and so I thought
I would upgrade a little and consider a John Deere. Available to me are the E100 and E110. I have had rotten
luck lately with mowers since my snapper engine blew up. What I care about are of course good job of
cutting grass but then long life and reliability. Is the Hydrostatic deemed to out last the CVT tranny models ?

Honestly I reallly liked the Husquarvarna but the deck would move around and on an irregular unpredictable
basis scalp and gouge my yard so I am going to try the John Deere.

Could you add some antiscalp wheels to the Hushy you like?