Throttle Spring function?

1RB2534

Threads
I have a question for a strange scenario I don't understand. On my Kawasaki FC420V-FS15 engine there is a spring that rides along and (mid way) wraps around the throttle connector rod. The spring doesn't seem to do anything (?) it just sits on the throttle rod hooked in the same holes as the throttle rod at both ends. This is on the throttle rod not the governor rod. Can somebody tell me what this springs does?
(see attached Throttle Spring 2.JPG)

Attachments

• Throttle Spring 2.jpg
    Throttle Spring 2.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 19

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've always thought it's to take slack out of the end connections.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is correct, this spring allows for no play between the governor arm and throttle shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Basically that is what it is for.
Without it when the governor changes speeds, the throttle over runs a tiny bit so it then shuts down and overshoots and this cycle continues till eventually it all smooths out

1RB2534

Threads

Thanks, that still surprises me. There is only a very small clearance (maybe 1 mm) between the insertion throttle rod hook O.D. and the I.D. of the insertion hole. This spring goes in the same hole at both ends with the throttle rod. I would have never thought that small a distance would have any effect.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, that still surprises me. There is only a very small clearance (maybe 1 mm) between the insertion throttle rod hook O.D. and the I.D. of the insertion hole. This spring goes in the same hole at both ends with the throttle rod. I would have never thought that small a distance would have any effect.

You can always take it off and find out.

1RB2534

Threads
You can always take it off and find out.

Good point, but while it does surprise me, it does not make me curious enough to leave it off. In retrospect I remember when I've bent the bracket on other mowers to adjust the governor rpms it did not take much, so I surmise you are correct in your answer to me not understanding the purpose of the spring.

Goose57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Renewing an old post. Scrolling thru and found this thread. So I thought I'd give it a try. My LX 176 died after hitting something and then would not idle and surges. The only thing I could find was the governor take up spring. Would that cause this running condition?