Mulching leaves

tigercat

Threads
No, Just the blades and the deck set up like it came from the factory.

Thank you for the answer. If my mulch plate is not working out for me, I will just remove it with confidence and mow / mulch like you are.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Leaves are the only thing we ever use Gator Blades for on a Scag. We put a mulching plate on and a set of mulching blades on and go at it. If you will raise the mower up and lower the front deck baffle to the lowest position it will help the blowout on the front of the deck considerably. You can mulch them down to a brown dust if you desire to.

High lifts are what we use to cut grass and Gator Blades are what we use for leaves. I have never had any success using Gator Blades to cut grass. We have 4 Tiger Cats.

I think I misled on the above. When I said raise the deck I meant to allow you to lower the baffle. You want to actually run it as low as you can to mulch the leaves. The lower you can run it the less blow out you appear to have and finer they mulch in my opinion.

tigercat

Threads
I think I misled on the above. When I said raise the deck I meant to allow you to lower the baffle. You want to actually run it as low as you can to mulch the leaves. The lower you can run it the less blow out you appear to have and finer they mulch in my opinion.

Yes I understood what you wrote. My yard has hard clay soil so the tree roots tend to be at the surface. I always cut my yard with any machine above 3" to avoid striking a tree root in a few places in the yard. This practice also makes for a nice lawn which I never water but is green and healthy all year long. But the best part is no bent spindles!

Anyway I will mulch at the same heights. So I expect a few to run from the machine, but with the grass long they won't run far.:smile:

tigercat

Threads
Update:

I installed the mulch plate today with a set of gator blades. Prior to installing the blades, I cut off the wing of the blades (but not the serrated portion of the wing) to see if the air pressure under the deck would be acceptable. Then I put a little sharper edge on them and I balanced them.

The leaves are starting. But it was about 6" tall thick grass mixed with a little leaves on top.
I started the machine to test it out. 2 things I noticed right away. It was much quieter. Perhaps the air pressure under the deck? I don't know otherwise. The other observation was there was virtually no grass or leaves blowing on the deck. I stayed very clean. Not like before when I was covered in a layer of dirt.
I even glanced over to see if the blades were running once or twice. Wow this is nice. No dust, a decent mow with 1 pass only.

In closing this mod works and works well. If you have a cutting wheel and want to try this I promise you won't be sorry you invested a little time re-doing the blades.
Cheers.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to hear!

I broke with tradition and just bagged the minor leaf accumulations on my lawns yesterday since they all have on-site disposal areas. I've got Gator G5/G6 blades on both machines now. That's all I use on my walk-behind these days and swap between Gators and high lifts on the Z. I don't get any blowout on the Bob-Cat running the Gators with the bagger like I do with my Lazer Z. Nice clean single pass pickup.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why not just buy some regular blades instead of ruining your gators?

We never run Gator blades for anything but cutting up leaves. We put the mulch plate on and lowering the inside front baffle helps on the blowout on the front of the deck. We run medium high lift blades to cut grass. Gator blades in my opinion are a waste of money to cut grass because if you cut tall grass, you need something that discharges better and they are made to shred and mulch in my opinion not discharge.

tigercat

Threads
We never run Gator blades for anything but cutting up leaves.

Yes. I did this only for leaves. I'd rather not pack the deck with grass clipping during the spring summer months. If I mulched this way all year, it would be me more work to scrape the deck underneath, something I want to avoid.

tigercat

Threads
Good to hear!

I broke with tradition and just bagged the minor leaf accumulations on my lawns yesterday since they all have on-site disposal areas.

My town will come buy very late fall or early winter to suck the leaves up with a truck. I've been doing this for the last 15 years. In my yard the piles laying on the grass will kill sections of grass by the road. It comes back by June, then I kill it again a few months later.

It's messy as the wind always blows it around, it takes up 1/2 the travel lane in the road when it blows around, so I tend to maintain the pile by raking it back up by hand to keep it contained and neat looking.

My yard will have mulched leave piles 10 feet wide 3-4 feet tall and 50 feet long by the road when they remove the leaves. This is why this year I will try just mulch and let it lay where they fall this year. Maybe this will work easier for me. Hopefully, the yard will look nice in April. If it looks nice in the spring then this will be my new way of doing fall cleanup.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
We never run Gator blades for anything but cutting up leaves. We put the mulch plate on and lowering the inside front baffle helps on the blowout on the front of the deck. We run medium high lift blades to cut grass. Gator blades in my opinion are a waste of money to cut grass because if you cut tall grass, you need something that discharges better and they are made to shred and mulch in my opinion not discharge.
Have you tried the Gator G5/G6 high lift mulching blades? They're wider and discharge pretty well and have good lift. The carbide inpregnated edge holds up well too. The G6 are thicker and hold up really well but are heavy and take a well powered machine to spin them well. I originally used them but stepped down to the lighter G5s.

Edit:. Added photo. G5 on the left with regular Gator on right. G3 think? They can make the air foils much bigger with the extra half inch width. Disregard the length difference - 48 vs 52 inch decks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_010336079.jpg
    IMG_20180923_010336079.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a leaf mulching method you guys probably haven't tried. Basically you use your mower as both a mower and blower. I know, you're thinking you've done that. But probably not like this. I run 2 gator blades per spindle bolted in a plus configuration. Then I put my discharge chute down and start mowing straight rows. If I have a woods edge that I can dispose of leaves to I start on the opposite side. The high velocity of the discharge blows enough of the leaves away so that when you turn around and head back, the few leaves remaining mulch up cleanly. When you get to the far end you'll have some leaves to deal with. Either grind and blow them to the woods or grind them up and thrown on a catcher to pick them up.

Note that the blades are precision balanced and I'm doing this on commercial machines. Haven't done it lately since the vac unit on my Bob-Cat picks up leaves so beautifully.