Cub Cadet Park Brake LT1042

fuse

Forum Newbie
Threads
The park brake on my 2014 LT 1042 KW has quit working. Will not set all. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Any springs in there that could be broken? I have looked and see the connecting rod, but can’t see what might be wrong. Do I have to take the dash and black plastic loose to see it better? Any help appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
SO just to be clear, the brake works and stops OK but the parking mechanism does not hold so the brake dissengages and the mower go rolling down the hill ( to fetch a pail of water ? )
Behind the fuel tank is the control rod that goes from the dash lever to the brake under the floor.
Down the bottom inside the dash is a small spring which holds the control rod up keeping the brake on
You should be able to get at it at worst you will need to remove the tank.
take the deck off then get under the mower and you will see how it works, dirt simple.
A twig or some long grass underneath underneath the mower wll prevent the parts from meshing properly.

fuse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. It acts like a spring is broken or something. The brake lever in the dash stays down like it is set but it isn’t. I can see the connecting rod but wasn’t able to see the spring. You say it is under the bottom near the deck? Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the deck off, it comes off really easy.
Get under the mower and have some one work the brake pedal and the parking brake.
When you see how it works it will be very apparent .
10,000 words could not explain it any clearer .

fuse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you got a part number for that spring. I don’t see any spring down there. Or where one would go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
https://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/lt1042-13bx11cg710-13bx11cg709-13bx11cg712-13ax11cg710-13ax11cg756-cub-cadet-lawn-tractor-2007-before/pedal-assembly-1i146h-after/
The spring that keeps the brake pedal engaged is part #13 in the diagram above.
Print it out.
To get the new one in you have to undo the pivot nut & bolt # 21 & # 9.
This pivot point is one of the "oil monthly" things in your owners manual that no one ever does so it floggs out oval requiring the replacement of the entire plate part # 17.
When you assemble it put some white lithium spray grease on it and try to remember to do it occasionally so get a can that has a long straw to fit into the push button.
The pivot for the cruise control likes the odd squirt as well.
I was fairly sure the access to it was from under the mower but it looks like it is an under the dash job
While you are down there check the condition of the plastic bushes parts # 23 & # 24
Excessive wear in those can give brake & cruise control problems as well.

fuse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don’t know if this makes much difference but my mower is an LTX 1042 KW not an LT model. I have looked on this mower for quite a bit and still do not see where a spring should go. Even have the diagram in that link here looking at it. Thanks