Honda Harmony HRB215-FH, engine stops after 20 min. of runtime

bazar01

Threads
  • / Honda Harmony HRB215-FH, engine stops after 20 min. of runtime
New coil from Amazon came in today.
Got it installed. Gapped to 0.005"
It started with no issues.
Tomorrow I will cut the grass and see if it runs continuously over 20 minutes. Yard is about an acre.

Attachments

• NewCoil2.jpg
    NewCoil2.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 5

Horsehockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
New coil from Amazon came in today.
Got it installed. Gapped to 0.005"
It started with no issues.
Tomorrow I will cut the grass and see if it runs continuously over 20 minutes. Yard is about an acre.

What did you use to gap the coil? Let us know if the new coil does the trick.

bazar01

Threads
What did you use to gap the coil? Let us know if the new coil does the trick.

I have a set of feeler gauges and just stuck the 0.005" between the flywheel and the new coil.
If you don't have one, you can use a thin business card.
I will cut the grass today.

I just bought this $10 coil to find out if the original coil was the culprit when it gets hot. Honda coil is about $80.
I want to keep this mower for a long time and will get the Honda part later when this cheap one craps out.:laughing:

Horsehockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a set of feeler gauges and just stuck the 0.005" between the flywheel and the new coil.
If you don't have one, you can use a thin business card.
I will cut the grass today.

I just bought this $10 coil to find out if the original coil was the culprit when it gets hot. Honda coil is about $80.
I want to keep this mower for a long time and will get the Honda part later when this cheap one craps out.:laughing:

Well done. Here’s hoping the new one makes it 21 minutes. Let us know how it goes.:biggrin:

bazar01

Threads
It made it 35 minutes and then it died. LOL.
It has spark when I tested it.
Looks like this time it's fuel related because it starts then dies immediately.
Definitely heat related.

I am going to check the valve clearances.
Don't know what else to check after.

Horsehockey

Forum Newbie
Threads
It made it 35 minutes and then it died. LOL.
It has spark when I tested it.
Looks like this time it's fuel related because it starts then dies immediately.
Definitely heat related.

I am going to check the valve clearances.
Don't know what else to check after.

Did the cheap coil still produce spark after it got hot then died? At this point before messing with valve clearances try loosening the gas cap and running with the cap loose just to see if you have a gas cap vent issue.

rePhil

Threads
So now it's a mission to get this one figured out! I would try a spark plug (verify that it's the correct plug) and if that doesn't fix it, a carburetor clean, or even even think about replacing the carb (mine are less than $15) Not worth the time and parts spent cleaning.

Does your carb have a drain on the bottom of the float bowl? The next time it quits you might crack that and see if there is A: fuel and B: water in the fuel. It doesn't take much. I have had my mower quit after a bit only to find water contaminated gas. I attributed that to the ethanol enriched gas I was using. A local gas station now has Recreational (ethanol free) fuel. I haven't had that problem since switching over.

bazar01

Threads
Did the cheap coil still produce spark after it got hot then died? At this point before messing with valve clearances try loosening the gas cap and running with the cap loose just to see if you have a gas cap vent issue.

Yes, cheap coil still produced spark when I cranked it with the sparkplug out and grounded to the engine.

I removed the gas cap to check if there was fuel. There was still half full. I put the cap back and started it. It tried to run but wont stay running.

I'll try with the gas cap off. Do you know how the carb is filled with gas? Gravity or a diaphragm fuel pump? (I will remove the carb and investigate)

bazar01

Threads
So now it's a mission to get this one figured out! I would try a spark plug (verify that it's the correct plug) and if that doesn't fix it, a carburetor clean, or even even think about replacing the carb (mine are less than $15) Not worth the time and parts spent cleaning.

Does your carb have a drain on the bottom of the float bowl? The next time it quits you might crack that and see if there is A: fuel and B: water in the fuel. It doesn't take much. I have had my mower quit after a bit only to find water contaminated gas. I attributed that to the ethanol enriched gas I was using. A local gas station now has Recreational (ethanol free) fuel. I haven't had that problem since switching over.

Spark plug is new and correct one I bought from a lawnmower supply house. (NGKbp...)

I will investigate the carb and the drain when it quits again.

bazar01

Threads
I checked the valve gaps and they were in spec. 0.15mm intake, 0.20mm exhaust

Tried to cut again today and it stopped after 30 minutes of mowing.
As suggested, I opened the carburetor bowl drain and very little gas came out.
It's a fuel issue this time.

Removed the fuel hose to carburetor, no fuel.
Removed fuel hose from gas tank to a fuel cut off device inlet (operated from the throttle cable), there was fuel.
Removed the fuel hose from the fuel cut off device outlet, no fuel.

This is the fuel cut off device I am talking about. Could this be plugged? How come it runs for 30 minutes and cuts off fuel supply when hot? I will take it out tomorrow and dismantle it and check the diaphragm if there is.
FuelValve.jpg

Last edited: