Bushing weels: the lowdown??????

franchi

Threads
Hello All:

If you bushed the wheels on a LB mower, what are your opinions of doing this modification. Was it easy, cost, favourable results. did it make pushing the mower easier to push, what tools did you use. where did you source the bushings, would you recommend doing this job etc. etc.? I have been thinking that this may make an improvement in my two 19" mowers.

Be well,

Franchi

2smoked

Threads
Here is a past reply I posted to another thread. The bushings are not cheap, but the results are worth it.

Attachments

• 742C2A7B-2D4A-4994-BC30-353B0E7BC48A.png
    742C2A7B-2D4A-4994-BC30-353B0E7BC48A.png
    612 KB · Views: 34

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Done this to several old mowers over the years. Get bushings at about any hardware, tractor supply, ebay. I have also used copper pipe for bushings, works fine with occasional regreasing. You can cut the pipe long ways to open or close it as needed to fit an oddball diameter axle, for a slow turning wheel the bushing need not be perfect. No real trick to this, bore out the wheel to accept the bushing that fits over the axle/bolts.

bogdaN

Threads
Did many of them in 70s and 80s using steel bushing from old craftsman or other wheels.Hand drill hard to make it straight,so drill press if U have one will do the job.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Nice owning a machine and fab shop. I turn bushings from 660CA oil impregnated bronze stock to fit and add an Alemite fitting to grease them.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice owning a machine and fab shop. I turn bushings from 660CA oil impregnated bronze stock to fit and add an Alemite fitting to grease them.

I always did say a machinist who can weld can do just about anything. Still true today.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I always did say a machinist who can weld can do just about anything. Still true today.

I buy the cheapo Oregon plastic wheels from ASC and then bore and bush them. Even greasing them, they only last maybe 2 seasons in out sandy loam soil. Usually have to replace the axle bolt too. Sand eats them up.