Different tires on rear hydrostat.

Redbandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently purchased a 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1045 hydrostat. The rear tires are 20x8x8 but they are different brands. One is more flat across the tread and the other is more rounded. Will this hurt the rear differential? Should I get two matching tires? It has 440 hours on it. Is this a lot for a Cub Cadet. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No,
grass will allow the tyres to slip and you rarely drive long distances in a strait line.
Rear tyres are really expensive so the PO went for a cheapie.
The biggest problem with odd tyres is they rarely are exactly the same size so the mower leans and cuts at an angle that can be very hard to compensate for.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shouldn't make any difference. Hydros (that I've seen) have an automotive type differential and on a light machine as the riding mower the differential should handle this for years. Made to withstand a large amount of turning anyway.

100_1054.jpg

Redbandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Is 440 a lot of hours for a Cub Cadet? Would you expect a lot of parts to be worn, needing replacing?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Main area of concern might be the hydro transaxle. Some have a Chinese Torq Tuff box back there and they start getting weak at around 300 hours. Lose reverse when hot pretty soon after that. And lube the front wheels ( bushings) and all steering assembly.