Model 612 Grasshopper story

1mk2

Threads
I added pictures of my mower and thought I'd give information on it. I seen Grasshoppers and started looking for one near me on Craigs list and came across this one. It is an older model but was in excellent shape (actually better shape then some I seen for sale of the later models). This mower was owned by an elderly man and a few years back he had a need to put in a new engine and after doing so was not able to get it to run so he just let it sit in his barn. As time went on he had a mowing service mow his lawn and offered the mower as payment which was accepted. The gentleman who now had the mower found a wire disconneted and got the mower running but had no need for it since he had his own equipment which was newer later models so he sold it to the man who I bought it off of. The person I bought it off of recently moved and his father in law gave him a new John Deer mower as a house warming gift and he no longer had a need for the Grasshopper and didn't want to offend his father in law by not using the John Deer.

It is in excellent shape and has good power going through high and even wet grass without problem. It does have a rear discharge mulching mower deck and we have had the wettest mowing season I have ever seen here in Pennsylvania. I had though about taking the rear rubber flaps off the deck because of the grass always being wet but so far haven't done so and don't know if that would be a good idea or not. For the past two month I only get a chance to mow a day or two out of a week when it isn't raining and because of the humidity the grass stays damp and never gets to dry before it rains again. (It has rained so much here that plants have rotted around here that we planted earlier this year.} The engine only had about 8 hours use and it is a Vanguard 16 HP which I believe is an upgrade from what this model actually came with, if I am right they came with a 14 HP I looked at the engine and it was a 2012 year, Anyway it mows great and I really enjoy using it but am jealous of the improvements made over the years especially the ease of taking off the mower deck on later models.

Anyone who has owned an older model like this and has any advise or tips for me would be greatly appreciated and accepted. I am looking on Craigs list and ebay hoping to find a snow blower for it.

Mikenumber1.jpgnumber2.jpgnumber3.jpgnumber4.jpgnumber5.jpg

Attachments

• number5.jpg
    number5.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 10

173abn

Threads
Nice mower Mike. .....russ

1mk2

Threads
Thank you Russ, it is the first zero turn mower I ever owned and I think I am hooked. Looked at your photo's and you have some very nice equipment and a niece property of what I could see. I going to pick up a International Cub with plow, disk, grader blade, and mower for my brother today. We also have a few Farmall's and enjoy getting out and keeping the property maintained.

Mike

173abn

Threads
thanks Mike,enjoy your toys. I've added an 863 Bobcat to my list.Had to build a shop for it off my barn. Had to fix one of the hydro motors on my G/H. I feel lucky I was able to fix it as it's a 95 G/H and the parts are obselet . Got it running the other day and it started raining. That's OK because we here in Ks. were in an extreme drought....russ

BWH

Threads
I added pictures of my mower and thought I'd give information on it. I seen Grasshoppers and started looking for one near me on Craigs list and came across this one. It is an older model but was in excellent shape (actually better shape then some I seen for sale of the later models). This mower was owned by an elderly man and a few years back he had a need to put in a new engine and after doing so was not able to get it to run so he just let it sit in his barn. As time went on he had a mowing service mow his lawn and offered the mower as payment which was accepted. The gentleman who now had the mower found a wire disconneted and got the mower running but had no need for it since he had his own equipment which was newer later models so he sold it to the man who I bought it off of. The person I bought it off of recently moved and his father in law gave him a new John Deer mower as a house warming gift and he no longer had a need for the Grasshopper and didn't want to offend his father in law by not using the John Deer.

It is in excellent shape and has good power going through high and even wet grass without problem. It does have a rear discharge mulching mower deck and we have had the wettest mowing season I have ever seen here in Pennsylvania. I had though about taking the rear rubber flaps off the deck because of the grass always being wet but so far haven't done so and don't know if that would be a good idea or not. For the past two month I only get a chance to mow a day or two out of a week when it isn't raining and because of the humidity the grass stays damp and never gets to dry before it rains again. (It has rained so much here that plants have rotted around here that we planted earlier this year.} The engine only had about 8 hours use and it is a Vanguard 16 HP which I believe is an upgrade from what this model actually came with, if I am right they came with a 14 HP I looked at the engine and it was a 2012 year, Anyway it mows great and I really enjoy using it but am jealous of the improvements made over the years especially the ease of taking off the mower deck on later models.

Anyone who has owned an older model like this and has any advise or tips for me would be greatly appreciated and accepted. I am looking on Craigs list and ebay hoping to find a snow blower for it.

MikeView attachment 39817View attachment 39818View attachment 39819View attachment 39820View attachment 39821

1mk2

Threads
Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge of the 612, I will check the RPM's. It's good to know that a snowblower works well with this model which I am excited about getting.

Appreciate the tips,

Mike