Honda HRR216 Lawnmower Deck Repair

itsgalf

Threads
Hello all,

I bought a few rundown mowers from some lady for $100. One of the mowers that came in the bunch was a Honda HRR2162SDA. She didn't seem to take care of any of the mowers, but I'm trying to fix them up. The Honda mower didn't run but I got it running with a new carburetor. Only problem is the deck is in quite bad shape. The rust has eaten through a bit of it (See picture)

Would it be worth it to take the engine off and try to repair the mower deck with a fiberglass repair kit? Do those last?

I can order a new deck for about a $100. But that's too much money put into this mower at that point.
Or should I just take the Honda engine off and keep it for something else?

Thanks,
- Marco

IMAG0119.jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
Just take the engine off and use it for something else. The deck is unsafe to use in that condition.

itsgalf

Threads
Thanks. Got the same answer from a couple people - looks like the correct thing to do.
Too bad, I kind of like the design of the mower deck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Horses for courses.
You can weld a patch, or in this case a couple of patches over the rusted out section, beat them into the correct shape then repaint the deck.
If you intend keeping it then fine, you have a mower that you like & the time you spent working on it does not matter.
If you want to sell the mower then you are looking at a big loss as repaired decks are hard to sell.

Other option is to pop down to the local bumps & see what they have .
Most pull mowers aside because they have a poor scrap value until pulled apart which is not economic to pay some one to do but relatively profitable if you are not paying labour.