Toro z5000 seized up?

solefate

Threads
I was mowing with it at the time, it lost power all the sudden and I limped it to my shop. I could smell burnt oil, and smoke was coming out of the valve cover vent line. Now, a couple days later I'm ripping it apart and I cannot turn the flywheel. I have the head off, and there is no scoring on the cylinder wall, and there was still oil in the valve cover area, and around the piston. I have no flywheel puller to make it much further. Is it a total replacement, or shall I get a puller and keep tearing it down. (contemplating this anyway for education)

Forgot to mention it was dangerously low on the dipstick, though no signs of it burning off or leaking oil before now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you have cooked the engine.
If you were lucky you might get out of it with nothing more than a pair of new rods.
To take the flywheel off undo the retainer then do it back up, loose 1 turn
Put a pry bar under the flywheel so it is on a strong part of the engine ( not the fins ) and also not under the magneto magnets.
I like to use the area under the magneto coils as in most cases the coils will need to be removed
Push down hard, very hard on the pry bar then smack the flywheel bolt hard with the biggest hammer you can hold.
Two people make this a lot easier.
The flywheel will pop off the taper after which it can be lifted off once the bolt is fully removed.

If you slip the belts off you can do this with the engine in the mower and in fact it is easier this way

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was mowing with it at the time, it lost power all the sudden and I limped it to my shop. I could smell burnt oil, and smoke was coming out of the valve cover vent line. Now, a couple days later I'm ripping it apart and I cannot turn the flywheel. I have the head off, and there is no scoring on the cylinder wall, and there was still oil in the valve cover area, and around the piston. I have no flywheel puller to make it much further. Is it a total replacement, or shall I get a puller and keep tearing it down. (contemplating this anyway for education)

Forgot to mention it was dangerously low on the dipstick, though no signs of it burning off or leaking oil before now.

Take valve cover off
Take spark plug out
Take belt off PTO clutch if it has tension
Put correct size wrench on nut of PTO pulley
Try and turn the engine
If you can... see if the valves move up and down
See if engine will make numerous revolutions

Lawn Addict
Threads
I NEVER start my mower before I check the oil level. I was raised that way.

solefate

Threads
Sounds like you have cooked the engine.
If you were lucky you might get out of it with nothing more than a pair of new rods.
To take the flywheel off undo the retainer then do it back up, loose 1 turn
Put a pry bar under the flywheel so it is on a strong part of the engine ( not the fins ) and also not under the magneto magnets.
I like to use the area under the magneto coils as in most cases the coils will need to be removed
Push down hard, very hard on the pry bar then smack the flywheel bolt hard with the biggest hammer you can hold.
Two people make this a lot easier.
The flywheel will pop off the taper after which it can be lifted off once the bolt is fully removed.

If you slip the belts off you can do this with the engine in the mower and in fact it is easier this way

Yes I definitely wish I had gotten the flywheel off before I took the motor off. This is all uncharted territory for me, and I have no idea really what to look for now that I've got the cases split. However, I do know the rod is definitely stuck, and there are metal shavings about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by undoing the rods which may be quite awkward depending upon where it has stopped.
Push the rods up into the bore
If the flywheel is not off, take it off as you will need to remove the crank shaft.
Was not expecting you to get this far this quick so just in case you have not been doing it,,,,, TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS
Engine with part in, then the part by itself then the engine with part removed.
If the engine is rebuildable they will come in handy,
If it is only the rods then rebuild.
If the crank has seized on the top or bottom cases then it is good night Irine.
The bottom case is replaceable for a reasonable price , but the top is a full short block which is not much less than a completer replacement engine from one of the surplus engine suppliers.
There iis no bush where the crank goes through the cases and the clearance is around 0.001" to 0.002".
I have seen some fitted with bushes but that requires a friend with a good workshop and a taste for a nice burbon :licking: otherwise the cost is way too much.

Go to Kohler.com and download your engine manual and your engine parts book.
Log on as guest when the log on screen appears.

The trick is to get the rods off and out of the way, then take the plugs out , bolt the cases together and try rocking the flywheel and the PTO shaft
If it moves left right then the engine is toast.
Up down you should have around .020" to .050" but left right is the problem.
If the crank has a build up of alloy on it where it goes through the bottom then that needs to be removed first .

When I started out I got hold of some large diameter key rings which I put a company tag on.
The mowers were always left with the keys hanging over the dip stick & i encouraged customers to do the same so it reminds them to always check the oil.
There is SFA oil in there and by the time it drops to the end of the dipstick you are doing serious engine damage.

solefate

Threads
Start by undoing the rods which may be quite awkward depending upon where it has stopped.
Push the rods up into the bore
If the flywheel is not off, take it off as you will need to remove the crank shaft.
Was not expecting you to get this far this quick so just in case you have not been doing it,,,,, TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS
Engine with part in, then the part by itself then the engine with part removed.
If the engine is rebuildable they will come in handy,
If it is only the rods then rebuild.
If the crank has seized on the top or bottom cases then it is good night Irine.
The bottom case is replaceable for a reasonable price , but the top is a full short block which is not much less than a completer replacement engine from one of the surplus engine suppliers.
There iis no bush where the crank goes through the cases and the clearance is around 0.001" to 0.002".
I have seen some fitted with bushes but that requires a friend with a good workshop and a taste for a nice burbon :licking: otherwise the cost is way too much.

Go to Kohler.com and download your engine manual and your engine parts book.
Log on as guest when the log on screen appears.

The trick is to get the rods off and out of the way, then take the plugs out , bolt the cases together and try rocking the flywheel and the PTO shaft
If it moves left right then the engine is toast.
Up down you should have around .020" to .050" but left right is the problem.
If the crank has a build up of alloy on it where it goes through the bottom then that needs to be removed first .

When I started out I got hold of some large diameter key rings which I put a company tag on.
The mowers were always left with the keys hanging over the dip stick & i encouraged customers to do the same so it reminds them to always check the oil.
There is SFA oil in there and by the time it drops to the end of the dipstick you are doing serious engine damage.

So I think the rod welded itself to the crank or so. Cannot get that thing to move.

On a possibly brighter note, I have a cub cadet with a bad hydro gear that has an sv600 kohler on it. This toro has an sv610. The best I can tell online, these should be interchangeable even though its a hp or so different.
I have my cub cadet stowed away in a corner so I may dig it out tomorrow.