cub cadet 1020 hydro seems to be stuck in gear

old tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was given the old cub which is in great shape except there seems to be no neutral. Mower was kept inside for all but the last two or three years during which time it sat outside and was not used after the owner died. Believe it worked fine before that.
After some clean up the motor starts and runs fine but only if the drive belt for the tranny is loosened . Whenever the drive pulley is turned with some difficulty the rear wheels turn forward. Tried moving the forward reverse speed control in any and all positions but nothing changed. Is it possible that a valve in the hydro tranny is stuck ? If so, how do I unstick it?
I assume the tranny drive pulley is supposed to turn freely with your foot on the clutch and mower deck disengaged, otherwise the motor won't start. Starter motor won't even turn it over with that much drag.
Thanks for any help or comments. Tom

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was given the old cub which is in great shape except there seems to be no neutral. Mower was kept inside for all but the last two or three years during which time it sat outside and was not used after the owner died. Believe it worked fine before that.
After some clean up the motor starts and runs fine but only if the drive belt for the tranny is loosened . Whenever the drive pulley is turned with some difficulty the rear wheels turn forward. Tried moving the forward reverse speed control in any and all positions but nothing changed. Is it possible that a valve in the hydro tranny is stuck ? If so, how do I unstick it?
I assume the tranny drive pulley is supposed to turn freely with your foot on the clutch and mower deck disengaged, otherwise the motor won't start. Starter motor won't even turn it over with that much drag.
Thanks for any help or comments. Tom

"valve in the hydro tranny is stuck "

Wouldn't it be more likely that something out in the weather rusted and is stuck or frozen? Some linkeage or pivot point etc.

That is where I would start
Check from pedals...all linkage...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are no valves as such inside the tranny.
The speed control is done by altering the stroke length of the pistons in either the engine or pump depending upon which tranny you have.
On the tranny will be some stickers with bar codes.
They will have the tranny makers name and the model number.
Go the the tranny makers web site and you should be able to get a parts break down for your tranny.
When the controls are in the neutral position there should be no resistance to the drive pulley being turned.