Engine Craftsman LT1000 20hp v-twin running bad after 15-20min. help!

Bluestrat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 20hp v-twin running bad after 15-20min. help!
hello,
I have a Craftsman LT1000 20hp Briggs v-twin. Runs fine for about 20min then starts cutting out as if it's flooding every time I hit the slightest bump, until it's so bad I have to limp it back to the garage.

I have bought a new carb and in some ways made it worse. I've checked the valves, vacuum leaks, etc. I've even took the float put of the new carb and put it in the old carb because it has a slightly better pre-set float level, still the same. I believe if it was an adjustable float, I could fix the problem. I also bypassed the solenoid on fuel bowl too.

Any ideas on what my problem is? Bout ready to junk it as it's tired and never built for country lawns and trails.

help!!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 20hp v-twin running bad after 15-20min. help!
hello,
I have a Craftsman LT1000 20hp Briggs v-twin. Runs fine for about 20min then starts cutting out as if it's flooding every time I hit the slightest bump, until it's so bad I have to limp it back to the garage.

I have bought a new carb and in some ways made it worse. I've checked the valves, vacuum leaks, etc. I've even took the float put of the new carb and put it in the old carb because it has a slightly better pre-set float level, still the same. I believe if it was an adjustable float, I could fix the problem. I also bypassed the solenoid on fuel bowl too.

Any ideas on what my problem is? Bout ready to junk it as it's tired and never built for country lawns and trails.

help!!

Yours is a similar problem to what is posted frequently. The mower runs for 10 minutes...25 minutes and then starts acting up.
This is an intermittent problem and is hard to diagnose. The diagnosis must be made at the time of engine failure.
You are either losing your spark or your fuel at that time.
An in-line spark tester could be observed to see if engine is firing.
One common idea told to people is to check the gas cap For blockage.
If the gas tank is not venting it will create a vacuum which would prevent fuel from flowing. The gas tank could have trash inside that could migrate toward the suction tube And block it off as you are mowing.

A can of starter fluid could be sprayed in the carb at the time of failure and see if the problem is fuel related.
Again, this is a common problem... there are numerous threads that you can search through on the board checking for possible solutions.