Suicide Knob No Power Steering?

Point37

Threads
will a suicide knob work well on a mower with no power steering?...if so any suggestions?...thanks in advance

Lawn Addict
Threads
It certainly did on 2 of my previous craftsman lawn tractors.(see knob) Be sure to get a good knob that mounts securely. I had one that I even drilled a hole thru the wheel to anchor it solidly. HUGE improvement...... Got the knobs off eBay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2008 Goldie.jpg
    2008 Goldie.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 67

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do the same thing with my oil filters...

Knobs aren't really a substitute for power steering. The mechanical advantage on old non-power steering tractors resulted in more lock-to-lock turns and the knob was just a way of compensating for that when the tractor is moving. They don't do anything for you if the tractor isn't in motion whereas power steering's biggest advantage is when you're stopped.

Point37

Threads
Thanks fellas...so with no power steering it will help when moving but not when stopped...got it...as far as mounting position I assume if you’re right handed you would mount it at 3 o’clock on the steering wheel?...I’ll have to check out the profile of my steering wheel then check out eBay or amazon

173abn

Threads
I use one on my Yanmar 1610d cut and my 92 JEEP .both w/no power steering. russ

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do the same thing with my oil filters... I find that practice keeps me on track better. This was last pic of this one, as I had enuff & it was sold & waiting for new owner coming.

Knobs aren't really a substitute for power steering. The mechanical advantage on old non-power steering tractors resulted in more lock-to-lock turns and the knob was just a way of compensating for that when the tractor is moving. They don't do anything for you if the tractor isn't in motion whereas power steering's biggest advantage is when you're stopped. True, but you can really whip it around in motion. And you can still turn it stopped, but not as easily obviously.

Looking at this one... That one from Amazon is gonna have TOO big of an opening for a mower steering wheel. I would suggest one that has 2 metal plates that actually bolt together on the steering wheel rim. Otherwise you are not gonna be happy with results.

And left or right handed makes no diff, if you need, you can remove the wheel & re-clock it to where you can mount the knob well & be right where ya need it.

Least I could on the old riders I had.

Zento Deals Classic Black Universal Fit Vehicle Steering Wheel Suicide Spinner Premium Quality Power Handles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0170371UQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_arWCBbK4FEZAP

I use one on my Yanmar 1610d cut and my 92 JEEP .both w/no power steering. russ
Cool, & Yes I agree they are helpful, I have one in my truck as well, but it does have p/s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Point37

Threads
Got the one I posted from amazon....you can tell it’s not high quality but it fit and I didn’t need to use the rubber spacer at all...thanks again fellas

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope that makes you happy, :thumbsup: I tried one that looked like that, & it would move around when I was whipping the wheel. I hated that.

Point37

Threads
Hope that makes you happy, :thumbsup: I tried one that looked like that, & it would move around when I was whipping the wheel. I hated that.

the clamp seems very good and it has a firm grip on the wheel...its the knob that seems cheap...you can tell its hollow plastic