" NEW" Hustler Fastrak quits running

tpack

Threads
I have a NEW Hustler Fastrak 54. My mower had about 5 hours on it and started running extremely rough when I started it up after blowing the grass off of it after I had mowed for about 30 minutes. I called the dealer and they came and picked it up. They brought it back to me later in the day and said it wasn`t getting any exhaust from the muffler. The tech stuck something in the muffler and it broke something loose and then it ran fine. He said it was probably a dirt dobber nest. It has ran great until yesterday when it started doing the same thing. I noticed it slowly loosing power at the end of my mowing but thought it was just the taller grass. I blowed it off after mowing and went to put it in my garage and it started running rough. I let it set for about 5 minutes and started it and gave it full throttle and it is doing the same thing it done before. The mower has 13 hours on it now and I never believed a dirt dobber nest was the cause of the original problem. Does this sound like a bad muffler issue or something else?

Luffydog

Threads
Engine brand and numbers we be guessing what kind u have

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have active mud pluggers, check the breather line on the fuel tank.
To prevent life on this plant being extinguished new mowers no longer have vented caps
So there will be a canister connected to the top of the fuel tank, usually near the neck.
This is the vent and mug pluggers plus a few beetles seem attracted to it.
The test is to undo the fuel cap 1/2 to 1 turn.
If the mower runs fine then the vent is clogged.

Also kawakasi's have a breather from the tank to the carb.
This is vent fuel vapours on hot days into the engine.
So there is a 1/8" line from the tank to a spiggot on the intake manifold.
These can be loose on new mowers and fall off in which case you are introducing air into the engine after the cab which cause it to run lean, but usually it manifests itself as an inability / difficult to start.

Anything other than that and it is back to the dealer
This is assuming you did put oil into the engine

mhavanti

Threads
Tpack,

The vent line bert from downunda mentioned is attached in two locations on your SD54. One at the filler neck and the other on the right side up under the dash board of the fender. Raise your seat deck, look straight down from the left side to find a vent tube coming out from below the left fender going down to a '4 way' plastic "T". The two sides of the tank intersect at the 4 way. The bottom of the 4 way goes down below the frame right in front of the left rear tire thru a fuel filter.

I have attached two photos of my RSD vent tubing and filter location. The first photo is the original location for the 4 way and filter location. The new location is where I placed mine to raise the vent tube to increase the fuel capacity as well as place the vent filter thru a hole to keep it safe and away from the drive belt.

Bert always gives great advice and prognosis, so, make sure you check out where he sends you.

Good luck,

Max

That is DSC04899.JPGFuel Tank Ventilation Upgrade.jpg

tpack

Threads
Thanks.... It is at the dealers shop. I will get back with an update ASAP

Thanks Again

mhavanti

Threads
tpack,

Great, looking forward to your update.

Max

PS: Your name is tpack I'm sure? lol

tpack

Threads
Well …… The dealer called and said it was the muffler. Hustler wants the muffler to look at it and should have one by tomorrow. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

mhavanti

Threads
tpack,

Did someone say muffler? lmbo

Max