Thread: valve lash

Mower
    Ferris

valve lash

Working on a Briggs single cylinder 17.5 hp. I need to know what to set the valve lash at. thanks, gregjo1948

Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

Re: valve lash

Assuming OHV engine and not flathead the setting would be .004-.006 for both valves.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar/Makita, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Brute, Honda, Subaru
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Karcher, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, American Landmaster, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Generac portable/DR power and others.

Mower
    Ferris

Thanks ilengine. It is an overhead valve engine. Did Briggs even make a 17.5 hp flathead? gregjo1948

Mower
    kioti/rhino finish mower

In theory I am sure they did. Could of just been a relabeled 16 or 17 hp engine. There was a lot of that several years ago. I saw a 40 series opposed twin briggs several years ago with a 12.5 sticker on the housing. that was normally a 16 if I remember correctly.
    ILLINOIS ENGINE, BEECHER CITY, IL
    BRIGGS AND STRATTON MST (MASTER SERVICE TECHNICIAN)
    Sales and Service for Dolmar/Makita, Poulan, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Lauson(Tecumseh, LCT), Brute, Honda, Subaru
    Warranty service for MTD, Murray, Karcher, Earthquake, Yamaha engines, American Landmaster, Worx, Rockwell Tools, Great Lakes Technologies products(Wen, CZ), Efco, Generac portable/DR power and others.

Mower
    Dixon

Actually the 40 series opposed twin started out as a 12.5 hp. It grew to a 14 hp then finally a 16 hp. At the end of the run of 42 and 46 opposed twins several different stickers were stuck on the remaining engines, lower than their original rating and generally ending in .5. All the other remaining flat head stock was done similar.

While Illinois is a pro and his settings will work, actual spec is .003"- .005" for the Intake and .005"- .007" for the exhaust. I go for the min. on the Intake for compression release reasons.

I can send you detailed instructions on setting the valves AND a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com