LT1050 - PTO kicks out when warm and driving right hanging hill

vtraudt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LT1050 - PTO kicks out when warm and driving right hanging hill
After some running/cutting, the PTO kicks out and then back in when driving sideways on an incline, falling right.
It does NOT have those symptoms when driving hill straight up/down, or driving in the other direction (hanging left).

I thought may a low oil pressure switch, but a) oil level is good and b) running slightly higher hot viscosity oil (same cold viscosity) did not change the behavior.

Any suggestions?

Is there an 'incline switch'?

I have the seat switch disabled several years ago, so it is NOT caused by shifting weight on the seat.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
After some running/cutting, the PTO kicks out and then back in when driving sideways on an incline, falling right.
It does NOT have those symptoms when driving hill straight up/down, or driving in the other direction (hanging left).

I thought may a low oil pressure switch, but a) oil level is good and b) running slightly higher hot viscosity oil (same cold viscosity) did not change the behavior.

Any suggestions?

Is there an 'incline switch'?

I have the seat switch disabled several years ago, so it is NOT caused by shifting weight on the seat.

theory...
It has to do with the rotation of the engine and the PTO...then the incline puts extra load on clutch...enough to bounce amps up to a point that circuitry cuts it off.

Check your battery, your charging voltage, and all connects of the wires to PTO.

You could check the clutch clearance settings...I think there are specs for that.

vtraudt

Forum Newbie
Threads
theory...
incline puts extra load on clutch...enough to bounce amps up to a point that circuitry cuts it off.
So there is an electrical overload fuse in the circuit?
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the clutch?
I already have a separate on/off switch for the PTO. May as well just hardwire the clutch to another switch and bypass the overload. Likely corrosion over the years increased the resistance, now reaching a point that when it gets warm, the circuit receives the overload signal erroneously.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
So there is an electrical overload fuse in the circuit?
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the clutch?
I already have a separate on/off switch for the PTO. May as well just hardwire the clutch to another switch and bypass the overload. Likely corrosion over the years increased the resistance, now reaching a point that when it gets warm, the circuit receives the overload signal erroneously.

It may be on low voltage if the clutch pulls too much.
My book says they should pull 4 AMPs
I have not seen an overload as such...but I have heard numerous times on these boards of PTOs cutting out on people with battery and charging problems.

vtraudt

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may be on low voltage if the clutch pulls too much.
My book says they should pull 4 AMPs
I have not seen an overload as such...but I have heard numerous times on these boards of PTOs cutting out on people with battery and charging problems.

Can someone post or link to the wiring diagram for the LT1050?

I want to trace/clean/measure the clutch circuit to eliminate corrosion and the associated added resistance/voltage drop at the clutch.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since you have not given us your actual model number then all I can do is post this link and you will have to decide which one is yours. By the way, I do not believe this is your problem at all. I think you have a wire touching metal when you are going the direction you are having this problem with. Find PTO at the engine and follow back till you find a wire rub. Then cover it with Liquid Electrical Tape.

https://www.cubcadetpartsnmore.com/cub-cadet-wiring-schematics

vtraudt

Forum Newbie
Threads
This still remains unresolved, and I am looking for suggestions what might be causing it.
Again:
- ONLY occurs when driving sideways on hill falling left to right
- ONLY occurs when mower is warm

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We have given you lots of things to check. Have you checked any of them?

vern66

Threads
This still remains unresolved, and I am looking for suggestions what might be causing it.
Again:
- ONLY occurs when driving sideways on hill falling left to right
- ONLY occurs when mower is warm

I am certainly NOT an experienced person with Lawn Mower Diagnostics, however; if that was my mower I would consider the possibility of the Transaxle being low on oil and with the tilting may cause some limited flow of oil for the unit to function normal and properly.

I have no idea if your Tractor has any provisions for checking the Transaxle oil level. The two I have experienced were a Craftsman 2 cylinder unit and A Husqvarna 2 cylinder (both are several years old). I had to "drop" the Transaxle for both to get access to the area for (breather, Oil Level, and adding oil) which were on the top/back part of the Transaxle. One unit I first drained all remaining oil and measured content finding that it was VERY low on oil. I first refilled it completely full then (using a Syringe and attached tubing to suck out enough for oil level to be normal. These should not be full to the top according to what I read.

I simply added oil to the other plus used same syringe for proper oil level.

Hope this possibly may help. However, other suggestions seem logical to me.