Blades Frozen Bolt

KyGolfer

Threads
Help. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a frozen bolt lose from my zero turn blade. I Have a 61a Wildcat. I accidently hit a water meter cover, and it bent my blade. ( Also broke my deck belt. Had spare for that.) I have an extra set of blades. But, since I hit the cover and bent the blade, the bolt on top won't break lose. Used breaker bar, hammered it even. Tighter than a …. well, we all know what that is. Thought about trying to grind it off with a angle grinder. That would take forever, I Think. Always thought that heat from a torch would help. I only have small propane soldering torch. How hot would it need to get , if this is possible? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't have any of the thin cutting blades for your angle grinder?

That is what I would do on the blade side...it will ruin the blade..I guess it is the one bent already.

I would angle in just where the bolt head and blade meet and not cut too deep...keep angle flat as possible.

You could try heat on your nut...watch out for fire.

another thought..
You can't be sure it will come out the top...hopefully it would.

My theory on heating is you are trying to heat the nut to expand it...before the bolt gets hot and expands... this creates a relief of pressure.

have tools ready to try and loosen.
Do you have and air impact?

KyGolfer

Threads
You don't have any of the thin cutting blades for your angle grinder?

That is what I would do on the blade side...it will ruin the blade..I guess it is the one bent already.

I would angle in just where the bolt head and blade meet and not cut too deep...keep angle flat as possible.

You could try heat on your nut...watch out for fire.

another thought..
You can't be sure it will come out the top...hopefully it would.

My theory on heating is you are trying to heat the nut to expand it...before the bolt gets hot and expands... this creates a relief of pressure.

have tools ready to try and loosen.
Do you have and air impact?

Sorry, no impact air tools. No thin cutter blades for angle grinder. Just have a Dremel tool for small things. Thanks for your input!

Luffydog

Threads
Block the blade so it will not turn. Take a wrench put it on top so it won't turn. Take a half inch breaker bar with pipe on it to break it loose or the other way around.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bolts self tighten in use and even more when you smack into something hard.
For on site jobs I have 6' length of rectangle hollow bar that slips over the blade then a 3/4 drive socket & breaker bar which Is held onto the bolt hed with a car jack the it is a case of some grunt.
In the workshop when one won't shift with the impact gun it is out with the angle grinder & off with the head.
Never ever had one that was thread bound and usually when the head is knocked off the bolt can be screwed out by hand.
The top nut does not need to be touched.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have taken a wafer thin blade on a 4 1/2" side grinder and cut them off right at the bottom of the nut on tip on more than one occasion. Just make sure you don't cut below the nut. It won't take but a short time to cut it off. Cut it off and if it is bent you might have to tap it out with a hammer and punch. We have had to do this several times over the years.

KyGolfer

Threads
I have taken a wafer thin blade on a 4 1/2" side grinder and cut them off right at the bottom of the nut on tip on more than one occasion. Just make sure you don't cut below the nut. It won't take but a short time to cut it off. Cut it off and if it is bent you might have to tap it out with a hammer and punch. We have had to do this several times over the years.

Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I will inform you all next week on how things turn out. Again, appreciate the comments.

Luffydog

Threads
Next week u must be in a dry part of the bluegrass???

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wanted to mention that if you do have a blade bolt get stuck hard it's a good idea to replace it if you do get it freed up. If you inspect it closely you will usually see chatter marks on the threads. This can cause it to get stuck again.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is yet another advantage of the Scag mower. If you were in the bind with a mower that the bolt was threaded in from the bottom you would replace a spindle. ON the Scag you can cut the bolt into on the nut side which is on top of the deck. We have done it and be running again in 15 to 20 minutes. We haul a 4 1/2" side grinder on the truck with a this cutter blade on it and have a small generator and also carry an extra blade bolt and nut. Scag mowers have so many advantages over their competition.