Blades Frozen Bolt

KyGolfer

Threads
Update on my frozen bolt problem. Tried 3 things. #1 was to use a jack against my breaker bar. Nope. #2 Tried heating and removing. Nope. #3 Tried long pipe over beaker bar, wedging against concrete wall and using the torque from the mower itself. Nope. --- Have come to realization that I need to cut it off. Bought a couple metal cutting wheels for angle grinder. Parts on order. Hopefully I will find time to do this this weekend. Pretty busy though. Will keep everyone informed on progress. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update on my frozen bolt problem. Tried 3 things. #1 was to use a jack against my breaker bar. Nope. #2 Tried heating and removing. Nope. #3 Tried long pipe over beaker bar, wedging against concrete wall and using the torque from the mower itself. Nope. --- Have come to realization that I need to cut it off. Bought a couple metal cutting wheels for angle grinder. Parts on order. Hopefully I will find time to do this this weekend. Pretty busy though. Will keep everyone informed on progress. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

Wish you were close to me. We could get you going in about 10 minutes. I have the tools on the truck and a spare bolt and nut.

Luffydog

Threads
well hes at least in the bluegrass don't know were though so they be close. hello neighbor I haven't had one yet to beat the 3/4 gun yet that one might just be its match tho.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
well hes at least in the bluegrass don't know were though so they be close. hello neighbor I haven't had one yet to beat the 3/4 gun yet that one might just be its match tho.

The 3/4 gun might take to off but what is going to happen if you can twist it off is the threads are boing to be balled up in the nut. Wafer blade on a 4 1/2" side grinder and just a few seconds and it will be off.

Just make sure that you are not below the nut or you will cut the top of the spindle off. We did that one time on the first one we cut off. Really didn't do any damage other than the new bolt had more thread sticking out than the rest of them had.

Luffydog

Threads
if I had that trouble getting it off it would get replaced anyways. if the ole big dog wont break it loose or my big ole bar then theres always the ole never let me down torch :thumbsup:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
if I had that trouble getting it off it would get replaced anyways. if the ole big dog wont break it loose or my big ole bar then theres always the ole never let me down torch :thumbsup:

Still the easiest and fastest way is with the 4 1/2" side grinder with the .045 or what ever it is thick cutter blade on it. It will be through the nut in seconds and it will not produce the heat that the torch does.

Just be sure that you do not cut below the bottom of the nut. Fastest, easiest, safest. Had to do it several times over the years.

IF you could get the nut off the threads on the bolt and nut would be gaulded bad.

KyGolfer

Threads
Success! Was able to use my angle grinder with thin cutting blade, and cut bolt off from bottom of deck. Ordered a new bolt, nut, and washer, along with new blade. Took a matter of 15 minutes to cut it off. Thank you all for your suggestions and support. This site has saved my ***** a few times. Everyone has been great. Thanks again!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Success! Was able to use my angle grinder with thin cutting blade, and cut bolt off from bottom of deck. Ordered a new bolt, nut, and washer, along with new blade. Took a matter of 15 minutes to cut it off. Thank you all for your suggestions and support. This site has saved my ***** a few times. Everyone has been great. Thanks again!

THANKS Hell.. we want your First-Born and ALL your Golfing gear !! .. Jus kiddin .. :laughing:..:laughing:

SidecarFlip

Threads
That is yet another advantage of the Scag mower. If you were in the bind with a mower that the bolt was threaded in from the bottom you would replace a spindle. ON the Scag you can cut the bolt into on the nut side which is on top of the deck. We have done it and be running again in 15 to 20 minutes. We haul a 4 1/2" side grinder on the truck with a this cutter blade on it and have a small generator and also carry an extra blade bolt and nut. Scag mowers have so many advantages over their competition.

One advantage is... They are insanely expensive.:wink:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
One advantage is... They are insanely expensive.:wink:

You get what you pay for. My neighbor has a Scag that he cuts a good bit of grass with the t he bought new in 1989. Still runs great with very little done to it in all of those years.