b&s thermastat

wingnut1955

Threads
I have a neighbors lawn mower here she asked me to look at it. it runs for about 15 minutes and then it dies. if you try and restart it it dies if I let it sit for a while it will start and run for 15 minutes and then it dies this is one of the newer overhead valve models with the thermostat I want to make that's my problem be fore I start buying new parts for it I don't have any used ones in my junk pile as I haven't had to work on only a few of mowers with this engine

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a neighbors lawn mower here she asked me to look at it. it runs for about 15 minutes and then it dies. if you try and restart it it dies if I let it sit for a while it will start and run for 15 minutes and then it dies this is one of the newer overhead valve models with the thermostat I want to make that's my problem be fore I start buying new parts for it I don't have any used ones in my junk pile as I haven't had to work on only a few of mowers with this engine

No extra charge for words to tell us enough information to actually work with.

I believe it is a Briggs engine since you posted in that forum
It could be a push mower or riding mower. 3 HP to 27hp

By thermostat I think you are saying on carb...who knows what kind.

You've narrowed it down to one problem...why do you need help?

I say buy a new one and put it on.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us the engines model, type and code number. I have not seen a Briggs with a thermostat. Pics would also help. Have you tried loosening the fuel cap, making sure your problem is not vacuum lock in the tank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And dies is not much of a description.
Stops dead = Electrical problem
Surges a few times & dies = lean fuel
8 strokes & blows a little dark smoke = flooding or failing magneto

wingnut1955

Threads
And dies is not much of a description.
Stops dead = Electrical problem
Surges a few times & dies = lean fuel
8 strokes & blows a little dark smoke = flooding or failing magneto

this is on a troybilt pself propelled mower ita a b&s1408065884467 it will run and then starts to cut out. I can start it but it runs a minute or less and dies out I have cleaned carb out on this already I see no dark smoke.

wingnut1955

Threads
this is on a troybilt pself propelled mower ita a b&s1408065884467 it will run and then starts to cut out. I can start it but it runs a minute or less and dies out I have cleaned carb out on this already I see no dark smoke.

the model number is 093j02-0006-f1

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are talking about the thermostat for the AutoChoke system, it is very easy to check. Take the air cleaner cover and air cleaner filter off. Look to see if the choke is closed, it should be. If it is open you will have to remove the shroud and see if the thermostat, mounted between the muffle and the block, is holding the airvane open, not allowing the choke to close. Carefully try to move the arm back to allow the airvane to move and the choke to close. Once the arm is all the way back, is the bendable part of the arm between the marks on the airvane? If not adjust the arm. Now reinstall the shroud and start the engine. When it starts the airvane should open the choke and the engine should run smoothly. Allow the engine to run for about 10 minutes to heat up the thermostat. Shut the engine off and choke to see if the choke stays open, which it should if the thermostat is working properly. This just means that the MAY be working, but you must now allow the engine to cool down. When it cools down the arm should allow the spring to close the choke, for the next cold starting situation. If the choke does not close after cooling down, and you set it correctly as stated before, then the thermostat is bad. If the choke was closed at the beginning, then you would start by running the engine as stated to test for proper operation.

From your lack of a complete description of what is happening and not answering some of the questions asked by the forum techs, it is very difficult to supply you with good answers. From the little info you do supply, I doubt that the thermostat has anything to do with you problem. I would be checking to see if the vent on the gas cap is plugged, is it losing spark, did you set the float level on the carb when you cleaned it and have you checked the valve clearance? Anyone of these or combination could be causing your problem.