Honda HRX217HYA easily bogged down

tul9033

Forum Newbie
Threads
This season my my mower is bogging down when mowing. I mow every 5 or 6 day so the grass isn't overly tall, but it is thick. Usually by the end of a 50' strip of a grass the RPM's have dropped by approx 50%. Also, when engaging the blade it may sometimes take 4 or 5 secs to come up to speed.
I've replaced the blade clutch (referred to as disk, drive), but not the disk, driven. Blades are nice and sharp. I've even raised the RPM to 4,000. Air filter is clean. Clutch cable is adjusted properly. When engaging the blade RPM's are still high, but when mowing RPM's definitely drop. I'm to the point of starting to throw parts at it like the clutch disk engagement (disk, driven) maybe even the coil and drive belt. Lastly the mower won't stop when the lever is moved into the stopped position, so I have a stop switch on my list as well. Logic tells me drive engagement is OK if the mower RPM's are falling under load. Carb has had cleaner sprayed through it. Oil may be slightly overfilled. Plug looks good as well.
Any suggestions are much appreciated. I feel like I've gone through it pretty thoroughly and while I'm pretty handy I don't know what I don't know. This is the 5th season for this mower.

tranchinh

Threads
HRX217 use GCV 190 engine ,a new one only set at about 3100 RPM ,at 4000 RPM you kill that engine very quick .GCV 190 very powerful when new but it loose power after few year,no cast iron sleeve it had to worn out

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Have you adjusted the valve lash? As the valve train wears the valves won't be opening as far as when new. Try this adjustment to see if there is an increase in power.

Regards

Jeff

Briantii

Threads
This season my my mower is bogging down when mowing. I mow every 5 or 6 day so the grass isn't overly tall, but it is thick. Usually by the end of a 50' strip of a grass the RPM's have dropped by approx 50%. Also, when engaging the blade it may sometimes take 4 or 5 secs to come up to speed.
I've replaced the blade clutch (referred to as disk, drive), but not the disk, driven. Blades are nice and sharp. I've even raised the RPM to 4,000. Air filter is clean. Clutch cable is adjusted properly. When engaging the blade RPM's are still high, but when mowing RPM's definitely drop. I'm to the point of starting to throw parts at it like the clutch disk engagement (disk, driven) maybe even the coil and drive belt. Lastly the mower won't stop when the lever is moved into the stopped position, so I have a stop switch on my list as well. Logic tells me drive engagement is OK if the mower RPM's are falling under load. Carb has had cleaner sprayed through it. Oil may be slightly overfilled. Plug looks good as well.
Any suggestions are much appreciated. I feel like I've gone through it pretty thoroughly and while I'm pretty handy I don't know what I don't know. This is the 5th season for this mower.

Sounds like you covered everything well. Have you checked the choke?