Lawn boy ignition coil not adjustable

lawnboy2cyle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Lawn Boy 2 cycle self propelled gold series used a couple of years ago to mow steep but small hills. It has been running fine until this week when it quit running. After inspection I found that the 2 bolts that hold the ignition coil bracket to the engine were missing. Probably vibration. I purchased 2 bolts and installed, then notice the flywheel would NOT turn. Loosened the ignition coil screws to adjust and they would not allow adjustment to free the flywheel. The parts manual does not show anything behind the bracket to move it farther away. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us a pic of what you are talking about, as that coil should be adjustable.

Russ2251

Threads
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑Agreed...
Indeed it is adjustable.
There is more than enough room to bring it to the .010" factory specified gap.

Teds

Threads
When you bought a factory coil back in the day, Lawn Boy included installation instructions on heavy card stock, that happened to be exactly 0.010" thick.

The idea was, place the card between the flywheel and coil. Line up the flywheel in the correct position. The magnets are strong, and coil will be drawn against the card and be perfectly gapped. Tighten bolts, pull out the card. Go for a beer. Without the card, mic some things around the house and you'll find or put something together that is both flexible and 0.010" thick or near enough.