Counterweight

greggn

Threads
My FIL Craftsman tractor overreved on him . It is a 15hp model 311707 . I think the counterweight went as there is a spot where the crank contacts something. The piston is going up and down and the valves are working as they should. If it is just the counterweight that went, CAN the engine be ran without it as long as revs are kept moderate?

Threads
I would say that governor went out on that engine...... Or the gov linkage is off in some way........

If the counter weight is out of place it shouldn't run.... It would be jamming the crankshaft....

Either way NO don't run it like it is ....... It is a fairly easy repair......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
"If the counter weight is out of place it shouldn't run" "It is a fairly easy repair."

For a novice? IF the counter weight is broken the crankshaft eccentrics are probably badly worn. Yes, it will run with out the counter weight until it shakes its'self to pieces.

I can send you a Service Manual IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me Model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Threads
I mean't easy repair for the governor . I agree if the counter weight went that's a totally different subject.........

I should have stated that Oops........

greggn

Threads
Found out what happened..... Screws on the throttle plate worked loose and that is why it wound right up. Screw got caught between piston and cylinder head, that is why is came to a SUDDEN stop. Gasket kit and 2 throttle plate screws have been ordered from local small engine supplier. Get her back together again so pop's is back behind the wheel.