X304 no spark

jewisian

Threads
I have a John Deere X304 that has a no spark situation. I had no spark on both plugs but when I disconnected the kill wire at the first ignition coil I got spark on that one plug but not the other. If I plug the kill wire in the first coil and unplug the kill wire on the second coil I get spark but only on that one plug. Could it be I have one bad ignition coil?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a John Deere X304 that has a no spark situation. I had no spark on both plugs but when I disconnected the kill wire at the first ignition coil I got spark on that one plug but not the other. If I plug the kill wire in the first coil and unplug the kill wire on the second coil I get spark but only on that one plug. Could it be I have one bad ignition coil?

I have an LX277 and service book...It shows some ways to test the ignition circuit.
It talks about various points where wire plugs are and testing for ground.

get a service manual for yours and whatever engine you have and see what it says.

Bigyard

Forum Newbie
Threads
See if your kill wires join together at a diode ( bulge in the wire) then continue on as a single wire to the ignition switch or in series thru other safety switches.
If so the diode is probably bad.
I had same situation on my old L120. Replacement wire harness not available nearby so I rigged a DPDT toggle switch and separate kill wires.