John Deere L110 Engine stops running

Bee Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler Command 17.5 with about 430 hrs. Was mowing and after about an hour the engine just died. Sit for about 10 minutes and started. Ran about 20 minutes and died again. Put it up for the night and started it the next morning. It cranked and died again. Changed the fuel filter yesterday. Filter is not full but the carb is getting fuel. Have spark at the plug but will not start.

Went back out to double check the spark with my tester and if fired with the tester plugged in. Removed the tester and tried some starting fluid and nothing. Should the fuel filter be full?

Last edited:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kohler Command 17.5 with about 430 hrs. Was mowing and after about an hour the engine just died. Sit for about 10 minutes and started. Ran about 20 minutes and died again. Put it up for the night and started it the next morning. It cranked and died again. Changed the fuel filter yesterday. Filter is not full but the carb is getting fuel. Have spark at the plug but will not start.

Your problem is a commonly reported problem...Mower runs a while then dies

When it dies...put ear near gas cap and listen for air rushing in.

You are losing fuel supply or fire to your plugs...you must determine which and we will go from there.

Bee Man

Forum Newbie
Threads

You are losing fuel supply or fire to your plugs...you must determine which and we will go from there.

"The gas cap is not plugged but the diaphragm is cracked."

Bee Man

Forum Newbie
Threads

"Went back out to double check the spark with my tester and if fired with the tester plugged in. Removed the tester and tried some starting fluid and nothing. Should the fuel filter be full?"

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Went back out to double check the spark with my tester and if fired with the tester plugged in. Removed the tester and tried some starting fluid and nothing. Should the fuel filter be full?"

You sprayed too much starting fluid.

If it has spark when the engine is cranking and it gets a little fuel in the cylinder it will try to start.

Or, if the choke is closed when you spray...the starting fluid never gets in to the cylinder...

Try again?

Bee Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
You sprayed too much starting fluid.

If it has spark when the engine is cranking and it gets a little fuel in the cylinder it will try to start.

Or, if the choke is closed when you spray...the starting fluid never gets in to the cylinder...

Try again?

This morning I checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and it's working fine. Carb bowl was full of fuel. Tried to crank it and it fired right up. Do you think the coil is breaking down?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
This morning I checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and it's working fine. Carb bowl was full of fuel. Tried to crank it and it fired right up. Do you think the coil is breaking down?

No I don't

Run it with your spark tester and if it dies after 10 minutes...crank it and see if it is firing...
If not...maybe it is the coil.

Whet it dies while using is the time you have to determine if it has lost spark or fuel

By spark tester or with a small of spray of start fluid in carb air cleaner...at that time.

Bee Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I don't

Run it with your spark tester and if it dies after 10 minutes...crank it and see if it is firing...
If not...maybe it is the coil.

Whet it dies while using is the time you have to determine if it has lost spark or fuel

By spark tester or with a small of spray of start fluid in carb air cleaner...at that time.

Plugged in the spark tester and have spark. Tried to start it and nothing. Tried the starting fluid and nothing. What now?