Cutting Height

arturo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 46 inch riding mower, Model 247.203790. The lawn care people keep telling me to raise my cutting blades to a height of 4 to 5 inches, preferably 5 inches. I have adjusted mine according to the manual, raising them up as high as I can. Once the blades are at their highest setting, I then level them up side to side and the most I can get is 3 to 3 1/8 inches. Is there a way to get them up higher?

Thank you.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 46 inch riding mower, Model 247.203790. The lawn care people keep telling me to raise my cutting blades to a height of 4 to 5 inches, preferably 5 inches. I have adjusted mine according to the manual, raising them up as high as I can. Once the blades are at their highest setting, I then level them up side to side and the most I can get is 3 to 3 1/8 inches. Is there a way to get them up higher?

Thank you.

what type grass are you mowing?
4-5 inches is high.
get a ruler and look at it.
It wasn't the greenskeeper who told you that.

it would be interest to see what height the guys posting here mow at.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
3.5 to a max of 4 inches on Fescue and Kentucky bluegrass. This also depends on the time of year and how much water it is getting and the heat and the cold and everything else. Any higher and the grass suffers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
6" ( pasture) & 4" ( street ) in summer and 2" in winter.
As previously mentioned there are a lot of variables

Regwal

Threads

Make sure tires are properly inflated. Underinflation can cause a big difference in cutting height. Also, cut your grass to satisfy yourself. There is not standard height for mowing. After a few mowing's you will know!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many of the residential lawn tractors are not made to cut much above 4"