Mower
    John Deere

LAWNMOWER SLOWS DOWN Considerably WHEN BLADE ENGAGED

When I put the lawnmower away a couple months ago it was working fine. This is a John Deere with a bagger system. Engine runs great until I engage the blades in preparation of cutting the grass. Seems to slow a little even before starting to mow but when I start to mow it is sluggish. I put mower on ramps and note that the left blade has a gash at both ends of the blade. Could this be why the mower is not performing as it should. The gash is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long about half an inch in from the end of the blade. I plan on replacing the blade but wonder if this is really the problem. I have no idea how the gashes got into each end of the blade.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mower
    Dixon ZTR, Kubota H1400, John Deere LX277, Yardman, Honda HR214, several Snappers with Honda engines

Re: LAWNMOWER SLOWS DOWN Considerably WHEN BLADE ENGAGED

Quote Originally Posted by JSBIII View Post
    When I put the lawnmower away a couple months ago it was working fine. This is a John Deere with a bagger system. Engine runs great until I engage the blades in preparation of cutting the grass. Seems to slow a little even before starting to mow but when I start to mow it is sluggish. I put mower on ramps and note that the left blade has a gash at both ends of the blade. Could this be why the mower is not performing as it should. The gash is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long about half an inch in from the end of the blade. I plan on replacing the blade but wonder if this is really the problem. I have no idea how the gashes got into each end of the blade.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    The only gashes I have seen were where the blades were so worn it went all the way thru the metal.

The metal is thin at the gashes...?

Check for a bad bearing on a spindle or idler pulley, loading down the engine when blades are engaged.