Engine Need help finding an electric starter for a JE75 walk behind mower, PLEASE

weuler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help finding an electric starter for a JE75 walk behind mower, PLEASE
I picked up a free 20 year old John Deere JE75 self propelled electric start walk behind mower that the owner gave up on because he couldn't get it started. Physically the mower appeared to be in good shape. It had a Kawasaki FC150V 6HP engine. I cleaned the carburetor. replaced the throttle cable and adjusted the throttle/choke linkage and it started up with one pull of the recoil starter. The blade clutch and self propelled transmission worked fine. The electric starter was a different story. It started out spinning but could not turn the flywheel and eventually stopped spinning. After taking the starter apart and making armature and commutator measurements I concluded that there was a problem in the winding stack. The John Deere part number for the starter is AM129880 which was replaced by AM130647. The Kawasaki part number for the starter is 21163-2117 which was replaced by 21163-2122. John Deere and Kawasaki have both discontinued the starter with no suggested replacement. Does anyone know where I might find an original OEM starter or know of a replacement or discovered a starter that can be modified by replacing its mounting hardware with the OEM mounting hardware and made to work? Thank you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to an electrical repair place for like automotive starters and alternators. They should be able to repair it.

weuler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go to an electrical repair place for like automotive starters and alternators. They should be able to repair it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I emailed an electrical motor repair business but haven't received a reply yet.