John Deere 125 - Cranks but wont start

srose3388

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning, I did a search and found some info but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a JD 125 riding mower with a 20HP B&S engine used every week to cut my little over 1 acre.

I started it up one morning and found that a family of mice were living in and around the engine. After driving it from the back where I keep the mower to the front I shut it off and left it for the wife to cut the lawn. She started it up 10 minutes later and drove it about 10 feet and it died. I opened the hood and cleared out 4 dead mice that were mangled by the flywheel I'm assuming.

Long story short....now the mower will crank but wont turn over.

I have great spark, I replaced the plugs, fuel filter and the fuel pump....quick easy fixes that I thought might be the problem. I dump gas down the intake and it runs for 3 or 4 seconds then it dies. I've chased every wire from beiginning to end and they're fine. The fuse is fine, the solenoid on the carb is fine, I've cleaned the carb and still nothing.

Can anyone see if there's something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the wire to the solenoid on the bottom of the carb.
AS it runs along side the magneto wire, they may have munched through it.
From memory yours has 2 wires on tha solenoid.
one comes from the engine to mower plug and the other ends in a ring terminal and grounds out on the 1/8 bolt that holds the lower shroud to the engine and makes the ground contact.

srose3388

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the wire to the solenoid on the bottom of the carb.
AS it runs along side the magneto wire, they may have munched through it.
From memory yours has 2 wires on tha solenoid.
one comes from the engine to mower plug and the other ends in a ring terminal and grounds out on the 1/8 bolt that holds the lower shroud to the engine and makes the ground contact.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it tonight when I get home.

srose3388

Forum Newbie
Threads
It ended up being some bad gas...it had a lot of water in it. After a week or so of screwing around with it I had a friend take a look and he figured it out.