LX 279 Electrical starting issues & tissues

Crusolympic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere LX 279 Liquid Cooled Kawasaki 17 HP engine. I purchased it used and had no issues for over a decade until this season. When I start from cold, I can get it to start let it warm for a few minutes as it sits and sputters. When I raise the left throttle lever, the engine will either rev up or die. IF it dies, then the ignition will not work. I hear ONE "click" and the engine does NOT turn over. I can turn the key on and off and back on still the same result. I checked the safety switch under the seat- wiggled it, replaced it- no avail. I have to wait til the engine is completely cold and attempt again. Any suggestions?:frown:

dfbroxy

Threads
Please post your make and model# so that the experts can weigh in. Im just gonna guess at it and say it might be your starter going out. After you try to start it and it wont restart try using a volt meter at the starter to see if it is getting voltage when you turn the key. Listen to see if the click you hear is the starter gear engaging the flywheel. If it engaging the flywheel and doesnt turn then it could be starter motor.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a John Deere LX 279 Liquid Cooled Kawasaki 17 HP engine. I purchased it used and had no issues for over a decade until this season. When I start from cold, I can get it to start let it warm for a few minutes as it sits and sputters. When I raise the left throttle lever, the engine will either rev up or die. IF it dies, then the ignition will not work. I hear ONE "click" and the engine does NOT turn over. I can turn the key on and off and back on still the same result. I checked the safety switch under the seat- wiggled it, replaced it- no avail. I have to wait til the engine is completely cold and attempt again. Any suggestions?:frown:

I have an LX277
I always start it with the throttle wide open...I leave it in the wide open position...always...then I push the choke up and start it.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an LX277
I always start it with the throttle wide open...I leave it in the wide open position...always...then I push the choke up and start it.

check your brake pedal and switch operation

Sometimes I try to start and nothing...I have to push my brake pedal a little harder.

The click you hear should be the carb solenoid opening...that is good.