2004 Super Recycler - worth saving?

mooch91

Threads
Hi all,

I picked up a roadside find - a 2004 (or so) Super Recycler with aluminum deck and B&S 6.5 engine. The older lady who owned it said it ran but smoked and had purchased a new mower to replace it.

Washed it off when I got it home and found it was in surprisingly good condition. The wheels were all tight, deck was clean (still had paint underneath), controls worked well.

I replaced oil with SAE 30 (twice), replaced blade, and replaced air filter, greased drive wheels. Plug was in decent shape. It ran rough, so I tried one of the $10 aftermarket carbs which didn't work well. I ended up opening the original carb, cleaning it thoroughly, and put it back on and it starts and runs smooth.

But like the lady said, it does smoke. Not bad, but you can smell it and see a bit of a fog from the exhaust when it's running under load. Definitely burning oil. It even sounds like it might have a slight knock, though it could be something loose in the exhaust I guess.

This is where my expertise begins to stop... I'm suspecting something bad within the engine. I've never torn in to an engine, nor have I replaced one on a mower before. From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem like it's easy to repower a Toro due to the unique configuration of the crank and blade adapter.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is it worth saving? The mower is in such nice shape otherwise that I'd hate to pitch it. I don't really need it, as I have a larger property and a ride-on that I use, but it would be nice to have a smaller trim mower for certain parts of the property and for bagging grass when I renovate sections of the lawn.

Thanks in advance. I will post some pictures and model numbers as well.