Can I start a Super Recycler without the electronic start?

obidawsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can I start a Super Recycler without the electronic start?
A neighbor purchased a new lawnmower and was giving away their old one. The electronic start was broken (it was actually partially missing). I decided to take it hoping it would still work with the pull start. I had assumed it would, but I've tried to no avail. I'm not sure if the battery is charged (nor do I have a charger to charge it). Does the lawnmower need the battery charged if I'm using the pull cord or would the electronic start being broken cause an issue? I'm really don't care if it has an electric start. At first, I just wanted it because it had a bag attachment, plus it was a self-propelled mower (which would really help me with the hill in my side yard). So if I can just use the pull start, that would be great. If not, I'm not sure what it would take to fix it, or if it would be worth it. Here is the mower. I zoomed in on the picture to the electric start.

mower1.jpgmower2.jpg

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
A neighbor purchased a new lawnmower and was giving away their old one. The electronic start was broken (it was actually partially missing). I decided to take it hoping it would still work with the pull start. I had assumed it would, but I've tried to no avail. I'm not sure if the battery is charged (nor do I have a charger to charge it). Does the lawnmower need the battery charged if I'm using the pull cord or would the electronic start being broken cause an issue? I'm really don't care if it has an electric start. At first, I just wanted it because it had a bag attachment, plus it was a self-propelled mower (which would really help me with the hill in my side yard). So if I can just use the pull start, that would be great. If not, I'm not sure what it would take to fix it, or if it would be worth it. Here is the mower. I zoomed in on the picture to the electric start.

View attachment 39649View attachment 39650

The starter just hangs on the side of the engine unless key is turned to put power to it.
If it will pull start...you can do that.

You could take the starter/battery off to save weight.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
It shouldn't require a battery to start, but check for an ignition switch.
If it is in the "OFF" position, it may ground out the coil.

obidawsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
It shouldn't require a battery to start, but check for an ignition switch.
If it is in the "OFF" position, it may ground out the coil.

That may be my issue, then. It did have an ignition switch, but it is broken. That's why I included the zoomed in picture. I don't even see it on there. So I'm not sure if it broke off or if it was removed. I'm wondering if the ignition switch was left in the off position (which makes sense) when it broke off or was removed, so the mower won't start. I'm not very electronically savvy when it comes to wiring. Would there be a way around it? Or how easy would it be to unhook it all if I'm not going to use it? Or even what would it take to replace the switch, if I chose to go that route?

obidawsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
The starter just hangs on the side of the engine unless key is turned to put power to it.
If it will pull start...you can do that.

You could take the starter/battery off to save weight.

It won't start with a pull start. That's my issue. I had hoped that it would, which is why I took it. But I've tried pulling it several times to no avail (and I did make sure I pushed the primer a few times). It has a full tank of gas, so I'm sure that's not the issue. So that's why I'm looking for people who know more than I do (which isn't saying much :) ). Ronno may be onto something. But could I just take the starter/battery off to bypass that? How easy is that to do?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
It won't start with a pull start. That's my issue. I had hoped that it would, which is why I took it. But I've tried pulling it several times to no avail (and I did make sure I pushed the primer a few times). It has a full tank of gas, so I'm sure that's not the issue. So that's why I'm looking for people who know more than I do (which isn't saying much :) ). Ronno may be onto something. But could I just take the starter/battery off to bypass that? How easy is that to do?

Does the spark plug spark/fire when you pull the starter rope?

obidawsn

Forum Newbie
Threads

That, I don't know. I'd have to figure out where to look, and whether I can see it while pulling the rope. Sorry, I don't know much when it comes to engine mechanics (large or small :) )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The electric starting system does not affect the starting of the engine. Key switch is momentary and does not kill the engine. I’ve seen very few ignition or valve problems on that mower, but could be. On that mower I’ll bet your problem is carburetor, as they were very finicky. One of the few that I don’t like to see come in, because if cleaning and rebuilding does not work, replacing can get expensive.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
That may be my issue, then. It did have an ignition switch, but it is broken. That's why I included the zoomed in picture. I don't even see it on there. So I'm not sure if it broke off or if it was removed. I'm wondering if the ignition switch was left in the off position (which makes sense) when it broke off or was removed, so the mower won't start. I'm not very electronically savvy when it comes to wiring. Would there be a way around it? Or how easy would it be to unhook it all if I'm not going to use it? Or even what would it take to replace the switch, if I chose to go that route?

If the switch has been removed by unplugging, it should not be the issue, as the circuit would be grounded thru the switch.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

That gas is probably bad.
You have to start from square 1 and since you have no basic knowledge it will be difficult.

It takes 3 things for a lawn mower engine to run
1) good, fresh fuel...that includes a carburetor to supply it at the correct amount
2)a spark to ignite the fuel...spark plug must be clean and firing at the correct time of the combustion cycle
3) good air supply, air filter clean to provide correct fuel to air mix

You start by determining if you have all these basic conditions met

It gets more complicated if you have all three and it still does not start.