leaf blower carb adjustment

corvairbob

Threads
i hope this is the correct location but i have a sears leaf blower and i can't get it to run. i almost starts for a second then stops. this is what i have done. adjusted the mag to 4 thicknesses of paper, took off the carb and blew it out took off the cylinder and found the ring froze to the piston, i got it free and assembled it. but i acts like it is flooding, but no gas dripping from the carb. i need to find out the jet adjustments. i see they take a special tool to adjust them but there has to be a starting point. low jet i have at 1/8th turn and high jet at 1/4 turn but no luck yet. so if i can get the starting point for adjustment that may help to see if it will start.

so maybe the mag gap and the carb jet adjustments and it may start? i have had good luck with using paper for the shim to adjust the mag but if i get the gap numbers i can find some paper to use to set the gap. and if itis not the jet adjustment then what else might i look for on these small engines.

thanks bp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just about every Hall effect magneto uses a gap around 0.010"
The carb should have a name & some numbers on it and we need those to provide any meaningful information.
I can not think of any hand held that is less than 1 turn on each jet for a starting point.
Cube carbs are very hard to clean properly and very easy to bugger up beyond use

corvairbob

Threads
say thanks for this info. i bet the 4 folds is .010 i will put a mike on it tomorrow. and i will get the name of the carb for you guys. and sen a picture along to id. i know what your saying about buggering them up. i have had some luck by blowing them out. but this one could be beyond help. as old as the thing is or as many hours it m ay have on it being the ring was stuck on the piston it may not be worth putting parts into it. again thanks bp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
say thanks for this info. i bet the 4 folds is .010 i will put a mike on it tomorrow. and i will get the name of the carb for you guys. and sen a picture along to id. i know what your saying about buggering them up. i have had some luck by blowing them out. but this one could be beyond help. as old as the thing is or as many hours it m ay have on it being the ring was stuck on the piston it may not be worth putting parts into it. again thanks bp.

The thing is they should be blown out BACKWARDS with low pressure air

corvairbob

Threads
ok today i went out and turned the jets open 1 turn and got some life out of it so after some tweaking i got it to run. it idles has low and high speed and blowes. now i will let it set for some time until it cools down and see if it will restart without any starting fluid. if so then i will say it is going. but now thanks alot for the ideas and help. bp.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the blower , let it warm up then adjust the HIGH first
Screw in till it misses lean then screw out till it misses rich then tune back to just slightly rich side of 1/2 way between the two.
Do the same for the LOW.
If it won't idle, screw the throttle stop up till it does, adjust the LOW the same way then back off the idle and repeat a few times.
Slowly pull the trigger in and it should transition smoothly from Low to High.
If not adjust the LOW only.
By now you should be used to the sounds off too rich & too lean so listen to the blower to work out which way to go

corvairbob

Threads
thanks did it already i know the procedure but did not know how many turns to start with. once i got that info i was good to go. i had it running now i'm letting it set until it is cold again and then will try to restart and see if it starts. if it starts then i will say it is good to go. again thanks bp.