Buying Advice SCAG TC II w/Kawasaki 730FX or Kohler EFI?

Gunhead58

Threads
I am looking to buy a new 61" TC II this week. I have not completely ruled out the 52" with a 22hp Kawasaki 691FX. With a budget of $10k or less, I was priced the 52" at $8500, the 61" with Kohler at $9,299 and the 61" with a Kawasaki 730FX @ $9,800. So basically a $1300 swing from $8500 to $9800. I will be cutting about 10 acres of pasture land (personally owned) that has been cut for quite some time with a brush hog. The land is fairly flat but then again, its pasture. We don't have cows anymore but we do have our fair share of wild hogs here in Texas! With all three mowers coming in under $10k, I would like any personal feedback regarding these three engine choices and if anyone has had any trouble with the Kohler or Kawasaki 730FX. Thank you.

Attachments

• Barton Creek Pasture.jpg
    Barton Creek Pasture.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Barton Creek Pasture 1.jpg
    Barton Creek Pasture 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4
  • as.jpg
    as.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 5
  • ArrowSmith Grass and Windmill Mar 2017.jpg
    ArrowSmith Grass and Windmill Mar 2017.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally would go with the Kohler EFI so you can put the top of the line suspension seat on the mower. You are going to need it with mowing pasture. I would think of an air ride seat. They are the best and you will need the best.

Gunhead58

Threads
I appreciate your feedback. Based on your comment, I”m assuming there is a different SCAG “upgraded” seat that can be purchased and you have to buy the Kohler engine to get it?? Thx.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I was not really clear on my post. I was saying you need to save money to purchase an air ride seat for your mower. Good air ride seat kits can cost around $1000.00. Kohler is the cheaper engine choice with no real downfalls. Others may feel different but I have run Kohlers most of my life(53 years) and have had no problems to speak of. I have also run Kawasaki engines. When it comes time to fix one you will pay for the Kawasaki name parts. I just had a starter for my 22 hp Kawasaki go out and they wanted $468 plus shipping cost. I decided to go with an OE replacement one instead. $48 no tax and free 2-day shipping. Could buy 10 for the price of one.

Sweats

Threads
I don't have any professional experience with any mower or engine. I do have about 48 years experience (from my first time mowing the yard for my dad til today) with Briggs and Stratton and Kohler. Never had a problem with either. Right now I'm using (or rather, my extortionist son is using) a one year old Tiger Cat II with 61" deck and a Kohler 29 horse EFI engine with about 130 hours in it. The boy mows 5 acres weekly. It had a fuel pump issue early on that I'm going to say was bum luck but it's been good otherwise. Others will say the Kohler's a junk engine and maybe they'll be right, in which case I've been a lucky guy all these years and I'm fine with that. I'd buy my mower again.

Gunhead58

Threads
I picked up my new SCAG Tiger Cat II today. I decided to go with the 61” cut with the 23hp Kawasaki 730FX engine. I appreciate the feedback.

John R

Threads
You'll be happy with that combo.

John R

Threads
This is the same setup I have, Mine is a 2016 and I only have about 45 hours on it, but no problems at all, and it cuts GREAT.