LA130 gives me grief.

wd4044

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere LA130 runs fine until you pull the pto switch out then it stalls the engine. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to check, is it running on both cylinders?

wd4044

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing to check, is it running on both cylinders?

The mower runs very smoothly when the blades are not engaged. Also I just discovered that I can pull the PTO switch out just a little and the blades will engage and the engine will run smoothly, however, If I fully engage the switch the engine stalls unless I push the switch in to disconnect the PTO. Maybe you or someone can come up with some idea as to the problem. PLEASE.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think I would take the PTO belt loose and see if the cutting deck spindles rotate freely, sounds like something is stopping rotation of the PTO or the spindles, anything blocking the blades or a spindle pulley ..??? does the mower run good at all times without engaging the PTO ???

wd4044

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I would take the PTO belt loose and see if the cutting deck spindles rotate freely, sounds like something is stopping rotation of the PTO or the spindles, anything blocking the blades or a spindle pulley ..??? does the mower run good at all times without engaging the PTO ???

I've tried that and all three blades turn freely. the mower runs fine without the PTO engaged. As a matter of fact I can move the PTO switch out just a little and the blades will turn normally as well as the engine running fine, but if I move the switch off that spot the engine will stall or the blades will quit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My bet then is to replace the PTO switch. It is probably shorting out when fully engaged. Here’s a time when I would recommend taking it to a dealer and ask them to replace the switch. If that is not the problem, they can take the new one back out and put yours back in. If you purchase a switch, put it in yourself and it is not the problem, being an electrical component, it is probably NOT returnable.

wd4044

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have replaced the PTO switch and the rotary key switch also the RIO switch. I guess the new PTO switch could be bad, but, maybe I should go ahead and take it to dealer for service. I just hate to spend the money and time.. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions and if you think of anything else just go ahead and post. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spend $ 10 and buy an in line spark tester
Hook it up, get some one to sit in the seat and with the engine running get them to engage the PTO switch.
If the spark tester stops flashing then you either have a wiring problem or a faulty PTO switch.

The manual your were directed to download has very detailed instructions how to test the PTO switch