Husqarvarna Mowing Issues

prog

Forum Newbie
Threads
So we are having a difficult problem with our Husqvarna YTH28V48 Riding Mower. This mower has had a few problems this summer. One being that it would only operate in full choke. Lowering the choke would cause it to idle and die. Second, the battery was having issues frequently. The problem that we are facing now is that the mower is not starting. The concerning part is that when turning the key the mower will turn and make a knocking sound. We cannot get it to actually start. This started after a normal mowing operation when the mower suddenly stopped. No loud sounds or anything. It just stopped liked when you turn the engine off. What do you suggest we check to try and solve this problem. We hope that it isn't something deadly to the mower. Oil level was just below the safe zone. I should have changed it the starting of the summer. Instead, we ended up just topping the oil off. I know, not a good thing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
If things are going bad, they should be addressed because on problem can quickly become a major disaster as you have found out.

So where to start.

Pull both plugs and try rotating the engine to make sure it is not siezed.
Then put a stick / screwdriver down the plug hole and put a little weight on the piston.
When the piston passes through TDC & BDC the change in piston direction should be smooth & quiet. If you feel and notchiness or the piston suddenly drops or you hear a click then the con rod is gone & it is pull apart time.
Next remove both rocker covers and verify that the pushrods are both still there and the valves are going in & out like they should.
Pull off the blower housing and remove the flywheel, check the timing key good chance it will be broken or cracked.

The fuel delivery system will also need looking at but for now we need to see if the engine can be resurected.

prog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Turns out it the carburetor being so clogged up. I got a new carb, and also new spark plugs and it works like a charm. Did a new oil change to just be on the good side.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
:welcome:
If things are going bad, they should be addressed because on problem can quickly become a major disaster as you have found out.

So where to start.

Pull both plugs and try rotating the engine to make sure it is not siezed.
Then put a stick / screwdriver down the plug hole and put a little weight on the piston.
When the piston passes through TDC & BDC the change in piston direction should be smooth & quiet. If you feel and notchiness or the piston suddenly drops or you hear a click then the con rod is gone & it is pull apart time.
Next remove both rocker covers and verify that the pushrods are both still there and the valves are going in & out like they should.
Pull off the blower housing and remove the flywheel, check the timing key good chance it will be broken or cracked.

The fuel delivery system will also need looking at but for now we need to see if the engine can be resurected.

haha...bert..
It was just a dirty carb....I thought like you...possible major engine problem
Great reply, by the way...thank you...
I always enjoy your depth of thought on a problem.

shift

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is always a problem when you have words on a screen & not a mower on the floor.

Knocking sounds always mean something is loose.
So don't be surprised if latter this season ( or next ) we hear there is a rod through the cases.