"New" Lawn Boy 5024 advice suggestions comments etc.

franchi

Threads
  • / "New" Lawn Boy 5024 advice suggestions comments etc.
Hi Folks:

I recently bought a LB 5024 mower that appeared to be in bad shape for $20.00. The owner told me that the crank was shot due to him running straight gas thriugh it. It was paked in the barn covered by many other pieces of non working farm equipment. Talk about guano???? I got it home and fueled it up with a 16:1 mix and it started on the second pull of the rope. Since then it starts on the first pull and runs great. It does not appear to have much use as the wheels and blade show very little use. Now for some quesitions.

Tne blade is has a LB number of 611289 which may be the incorrect blade which may not require a blade stiffener. There was no blade stiffener on the engine and I do believe that one is required. The parts manual shows a blade stiffener. What is the correct part number for blade stiffener? Would a Tri Cut blade be a much better blade for this engine? I do not plan on using the bagger.

How may I remove the blade collar as iot is stuck? I have not attempted yet but a gear puller would only bend the collar.

The painted metal areas are all pitted down to the metal. How may this be removed prior to painting? Is sand blasting a viable option or is sanding better?

Is 32:1 the corrrect fuel mix?

Is some magical attraction that makes a "brick top" very collectable? They seem to be held in high esteem by LB afficinados. I never met a LB that I disliked. The 19" are the best for trimming. Being a good husband, I make sure that the Little Lady always has one to use.Lol

Enough for now. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Be well,

Franchi

AnthemBassMan

Threads
Hey there. Another 5024 owner here. Can’t help you on the blade at the moment, but this series was made after Lawn Boy switched to 32:1 mix. It should have the D400 engine on it. Love this little mower!

View attachment 39635

L8R,
Matt

franchi

Threads
Hi Matt:

Thanks for the prompt reply! Yes indeed, that mower looks like the one that I bought. It runs very well. Now to find a blade, blade stiffener and an original white gas tank cap.

For some reason, I am getting many requests to sell my LB cast deck mowers. What would be a fair price to ask for the 1970 era mowers? At my age, what is the reason to have a collection of LB mowers?

Be well my friend,

Franchi

franchi

Threads
Re: Need" Parts for LB 5024 mower

Hi LB People:

I "need" the following parts for my recently acquired LB 5024 mower:

Original white gas tank cap
Blade 19"

Blade stiffener LB part no. 603541

If you can help me with these parts, kindly contact me.

Thanks,

Franchi

AnthemBassMan

Threads
eBay will be your friend on some replacement parts. I bought a new gas cap, starter rope, starter handle, and air filter for around $20. I checked and they also have blade stiffeners. I paid $100 for my 5024 as it is in the picture. It started on the first pull and mows great until the seal on the primer went bad. Now it’s running too much fuel through until my parts come in. But it is 43 years old. Things like that are bound to happen.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292643741325

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283053768903

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273371623255

L8R,
Matt

bogdaN

Threads
Re: "New" Lawn Boy 5024 advice suggestions comments etc.That is how I remove blade .

Hi Folks:

I recently bought a LB 5024 mower that appeared to be in bad shape for $20.00. The owner told me that the crank was shot due to him running straight gas thriugh it. It was paked in the barn covered by many other pieces of non working farm equipment. Talk about guano???? I got it home and fueled it up with a 16:1 mix and it started on the second pull of the rope. Since then it starts on the first pull and runs great. It does not appear to have much use as the wheels and blade show very little use. Now for some quesitions.

Tne blade is has a LB number of 611289 which may be the incorrect blade which may not require a blade stiffener. There was no blade stiffener on the engine and I do believe that one is required. The parts manual shows a blade stiffener. What is the correct part number for blade stiffener? Would a Tri Cut blade be a much better blade for this engine? I do not plan on using the bagger.

How may I remove the blade collar as iot is stuck? I have not attempted yet but a gear puller would only bend the collar.

The painted metal areas are all pitted down to the metal. How may this be removed prior to painting? Is sand blasting a viable option or is sanding better?

Is 32:1 the corrrect fuel mix?

Is some magical attraction that makes a "brick top" very collectable? They seem to be held in high esteem by LB afficinados. I never met a LB that I disliked. The 19" are the best for trimming. Being a good husband, I make sure that the Little Lady always has one to use.Lol

Enough for now. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Be well,

Franchi

remoowers 003.JPG

Attachments

• remoowers 001.JPG
    remoowers 001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 14

AnthemBassMan

Threads
I was lucky. Mine fell right off when I pulled the blade off.

L8R,
Matt

Teds

Threads
I think it's nostalgia, the bricktops have a certain appearance that people remember and like. But, they are outstanding mowers too. Toro has kindly posted the entire LawnBoy service and specifications manual in .PDF for free download. You will want this. There are a fair number of "gotchas" on LawnBoys as far as engine assembly and governor setup, carburetor &c that are sort of tricky, and not intuitive. The manual explains everything and is easy to understand.

The rubber crankshaft seals (one on each end) have not been replaced most likely, then this is something that needs attention. They are inexpensive. The needle bearings should at least be inspected. Look for scoring on the cylinder walls, and stuck rings and exhaust restriction.

The white gas caps are sort of difficult to find, but they turn up on that auction site.

The blade collar deal. Try a good penetrating oil (not just WD40) Liquid Wrench, say. Be patient, it's been stuck on the crankshaft for golly knows how long. Let the penetrating oil do its job. Re-apply after a day or two, and tap it with a hammer. Apply some more after a couple more days. Tap again. Shocking a "frozen" rusted fastener allows the penetrant to wick into the rust.

rfWi

Threads
I use a cheapo HarborFreight pitman arm puller to remove blade collar.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
For me, the Bricktop is THE classic Lawn Boy. We never had one when I was a kid, but my neighbor did. Probably around 1971-72 is when I first noticed the differences. I was 5-6 years old. Dad had an old Jacobsen mower with the typical Briggs engine on it that sounded like every other mower. But when our neighbor would mow, his green machine sounded like a dirt bike to me, not a lawn mower. If I was sitting in the tree or playing in the sand pit by our garage, I would always stop what I was doing and watch him as he pushed it by. I told his son a few months ago that his Dad having that old Lawn Boy Bricktop was the reason I turned into a Lawn Boy nut.

L8R,
Matt