Poulan PP330 Gas Trimmer (expandable, w/ attachments) won't start, sputters...

BackstreetZAFU

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Poulan PP330 Gas Trimmer (expandable, w/ attachments) won't start, sputters...
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I have a question about my Poulan PP330 gas trimmer.

I bought it off of Craigslist, and it worked great the day I purchased it, and the first few times I used it. Now, when I pull the pull-start, it revs, then sputters, then dies.

My first thought was that the mistake of putting 50:1 fuel in it by accident (it's 40:1) would be the cause. So, I drained it, and plan to add the correct fuel tomorrow. Does that sound right to anyone?

My second thought was that it was a bad spark plug, so I attempted to remove the existing one without a spark plug wrench, and sort of screwed it up. I was going to replace it either way, so no big deal.

Finally, when I emptied the gas reservoir, a small piece fell out. I've attached a photo. I have no idea what it is, but I imagine that the fact that it fell out of the gas tank isn't good. Can anyone identify it? I looked on eReplacementParts.com, and it looks like the fuel filter. Would this be the problem? Does anyone know how to fix it? (Possibly point me to a YouTube video or something?)

I really appreciate any help you can offer. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I'd love to be able to fix this issue myself.

Thank you very much!

-matt

IMG_0049.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Poulan PP330 Gas Trimmer (expandable, w/ attachments) won't start, sputters...
Yes it is the fuel filter and as there is a lump of fuel line still on it,,,,,,,,,, You guesed right, time for new fuel lines Oh joy.
1) take lots of photos and note the fuel lines are different sizes overall and have different wall thicknesses.
2) get some TYGON fuel line from a mower shop, not from ebay / amazon or Craigs list there is a lot of fake stuff out there.
This is a PIA job so you do not want to be doing it again in another 12 months, nor do you want to emulate a budihist monk and have a ruptured fuel line soak you with fuel while the engine is running.
3) cut the TYGON at a slash then insert a drill or tight fit wire into it and push the pair through the tank, pull the tube out through the fuel cap, remove the drill bit ,square off the end & fit the fuel filter.
4) as the filter had fallen off it would be prudent to pull the carb ( more photos ) and clean the internal filter, it will also make fitting the new fuel lines easier.

Fuel tanks run at 3 to 7 psi so the fuel line must be a tight fit.
If yours has rubber grommets in the tank, replace them as well cause for an extra $ 2 it is not worth the hassel of doing it twice.

Before you open up the carb, clean the outside thoroughly there are holes inside finer than a baby's hair and the tiniest piece of floating dust / pollen can block them.
I always fit new gaskets & diaphragms again $ 5 cheap for piece of mind.
Others who are impoverished boil them or soak them in WD40 in the sunlight or some similar idea to soften the old hard gaskets .