What Do People Think

Giles

Threads
Years ago, I ran a small engine repair shop. Today, I still occasionally do repairs and I have noticed thangs haven't changed much.
The vast majority of engine failures were---are-- oil related. I have seen quality machines, 5 or 6 years oil, with paint still on the drain plug!!! Mower deck spindles and other greese fittings completely dry or covered with thick dirt!! :mad:
I bought a quality gas welding machine --generator that wouldn't run, from a friend and discovered oil was original but too low to start.
I flushed the BLACK oil, ran it for a few minutes and then changed it again.
Luckily the engine ran perfect and it was sold for over twice what I paid. :thumbsup:
I believe many people think just because it hasn't run but a few hours, the maintenance is not necessary. :thumbdown:

noma

Threads
Hi Giles

I agree with you totally you need to have a good maintenance plan on your equipment if you want to keep your mower or any thing else to last. Like oil change and filter on all small engines air, fuel every thing. And i know a lot of people think they are good for a few years because they don't put many hours on there engines. Maintenance at lest once a year on your engine to get that old oil out with fresh ,it's cheap insurance to keep your equipment running for years.:biggrin:

benski

Threads
+3 on at LEAST change the oil! Since all but the latest and largest of the engines we're talking about are carbureted, fuel dilution is a real issue. Add to that everything sits around for months on end, and then is miraculously expected to start after being shut down after running at WOT on ethanol:mad:gasoline, it's a bloody miracle you can get 4 years out of most equipment. Synthetic oil, clean air and passages, and some good(?) fuel,:smile: care and feeding will help things along.:smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The vast majority of engine failures were---are-- oil related. I have seen quality machines, 5 or 6 years oil, with paint still on the drain plug!!! Mower deck spindles and other greese fittings completely dry or covered with thick dirt!! :mad:
. :thumbdown:

I agree 100%. But for some reason I find people on this forum just don't think this happens a person buys a new mower and never does any maintenance for the life of the mower just because they take care of there own. They also think that anybody can repair a mower without proper tools or knowledge. I also do repairs and also see this happen all the time. I just got a ATV repair job the customer took to a dealer what a mess they made, broken electrical plugs, missing and loose bolts, tight valves after a valve adjustment and this is a large dealer. On top of it they charged this customer big money for the mess they made.

jeff

Threads
The one thing that really bugs me are those folks who want their things repaired for labor prices of the 50's just because I don't have a huge inventory or fancy shop. They just don't understand that those of us who work on their machines are trying to make it just like they are and that we are providing them with a needed service for which we expect to be paid at the going rate.

LandN

Threads
And for the above reasons is why i am not in favor of people buying used machines/equipment ....the lack of maintenance AND whatever part just might be going to break at any time because bubble gum was used to make a repair on something,..just to hold it over till it is sold to an unsuspecting buyer.maybe not in all cases, but hey, i know i'm not going to be the guinnea pig.

jeff

Threads
No bubble gum in my work. I have been doing this since 1979 on and off, I fix things the right way.

Giles

Threads
If I am considering buying a piece of machinery or a vehicle, and the owner discloses repair work that has been done---I ask more questions. Who did the work? How long ago?
If I do not have confidence in the person that did the work--I pass.
If it is a super buy I add to that price the cost to do the repair again, and then decide.
Over the years, nearly everything I have purchased that has had repair done, I end up doing it again:mad:
I always pass on pervious big repairs like engine rebuild:thumbdown::thumbdown:

benski

Threads
A lot of this stuff isn't worth spending too much time or money on...there is typically a brand new piece of equipment out there that has parts support, a warranty, and all those good things. I personally enjoy keeping things alive as long as possible; it's kind of nutty:confused2:in a purely economic sense, but it makes me feel good to keep a well made piece of equipment out of the scrapyard.