John Deere LT155 shuts down after three hours

raymondjiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I was running my LT155 for about three hours yesterday and I first noticed a little rough engine and then eventually a complete shutoff. I could on occasion get it restarted but the same thing would happen again and putting the idle control to slowest would always cause a shutoff.

Last season I have replaced the seat safety switch, the PTO switch and the Kohler ignition module (with proper gap set) - this year things were running fine until yesterday. Using forced air I have blown out the dust, under the seat, engine area. I am tempted to try another ignition module - my gut feeling is telling me it's that.

It is the original carb. I have a rebuild kit but have not used it yet. Does anyone have suggestions I might try? I can try another ignition module, new spark plug, change the fuel filter (it looks okay to me though.)

Thank you!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,
I was running my LT155 for about three hours yesterday and I first noticed a little rough engine and then eventually a complete shutoff. I could on occasion get it restarted but the same thing would happen again and putting the idle control to slowest would always cause a shutoff.

Last season I have replaced the seat safety switch, the PTO switch and the Kohler ignition module (with proper gap set) - this year things were running fine until yesterday. Using forced air I have blown out the dust, under the seat, engine area. I am tempted to try another ignition module - my gut feeling is telling me it's that.

It is the original carb. I have a rebuild kit but have not used it yet. Does anyone have suggestions I might try? I can try another ignition module, new spark plug, change the fuel filter (it looks okay to me though.)

Thank you!

After 3 hours...it ran out of gas.

raymondjiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
No. It had at least 1/3 of a tank left.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
No. It had at least 1/3 of a tank left.

It has either lost fuel supply or fire to the plug.

You must determine for sure which.

Does the engine turn over when you turn the key?

Or do nothing?

raymondjiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
The starter works. As I said, sometimes I can even get it to run briefly before it dies. Maybe it's as simple as the vent on the gas cap.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
The starter works. As I said, sometimes I can even get it to run briefly before it dies. Maybe it's as simple as the vent on the gas cap.

The starter works...
Will it start with a spray of starter fluid in air cleaner?
Continuous short sprays and it stays running?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it shuts down open the gas cap with your ear next to it. If you hear air rush in and then it will start and run, you have a bad cap. If it still won’t start, check to see if you have spark on the plugs. No spark bad coil.