Engine SW5000 Timecutter engine lugs periodically, mower disengages somewhat randomly

Stheemka

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SW5000 Timecutter engine lugs periodically, mower disengages somewhat randomly
Have a 2 -year-old Toro SW5000 Timecutter which has run more or less fine to this point, but this summer, and in just the past few weeks specifically, I have noticed that the engine will lug more than usual under load, which will sometimes trigger the mower deck to disengage. These two things do not always go together, I noticed today that the deck would disengage when not under a particularly heavy load, but it is happening with more frequency. I removed and cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades, and have kept clean oil, clean air filter and checked spark plugs, so all seems fine there. It is as if after two years of service, the mower just doesn't quite have the power it needs, with the result that the mower disengages probably 6-8 times over the course of 40 minutes of mowing (and in not particularly long or think grass). Any ideas on this? What am I missing? Thanks!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / SW5000 Timecutter engine lugs periodically, mower disengages somewhat randomly
Have a 2 -year-old Toro SW5000 Timecutter which has run more or less fine to this point, but this summer, and in just the past few weeks specifically, I have noticed that the engine will lug more than usual under load, which will sometimes trigger the mower deck to disengage. These two things do not always go together, I noticed today that the deck would disengage when not under a particularly heavy load, but it is happening with more frequency. I removed and cleaned the deck and sharpened the blades, and have kept clean oil, clean air filter and checked spark plugs, so all seems fine there. It is as if after two years of service, the mower just doesn't quite have the power it needs, with the result that the mower disengages probably 6-8 times over the course of 40 minutes of mowing (and in not particularly long or think grass). Any ideas on this? What am I missing? Thanks!

What does the book say about "valve check/adjustment"?
How many hours on the engine?

Stheemka

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no mention in the operator's manual about valve check/adjustment

It does not have an hour meter, but it has to be less than 100 hours...

What does the book say about "valve check/adjustment"?
How many hours on the engine?

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the specific engine you have is ............................?

Stheemka

Forum Newbie
Threads
24.5 hp Toro V-Twin 708cc.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked battery voltage and the charging system? A weak battery or a charging system which is not working properly will cause the PTO to disengage. Had one early this summer where loose battery to chassis connections caused the charging system to cut in and out, which would not keep the battery charged, causing the PTO to shut down. This also caused the shorten the life of the battery, had to replace it.