Carburetor has plastic flap over intake port

hubot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Tecumseh Enduro 5.5. HP OHH55 (69026C) on a Cub Cadet MTD tiller. Had sat idle for some time and was difficult to start so took carb off for cleaning. Was surprised to see a plastic flap that was attached to one of the 2 screws at the intake port. The flap looked to be factory built but is badly distorted. The carb is one of the non adjustable units with a priming bulb and in addition to the fuel input, it also has a rubber hose right below and in back of the fuel input. This small hose runs to the OHV cover.
What would be the purpose of such a flap? Looks to me that carb vacuum would pull it fully closed and stop almost all air inflow to the engine. As said, the flap was distorted but may have been held at about a 45 degree angle out from the opening. Unit obviously had rum for some years with this in place. Should it be replace and if so with what. I don't see it in the part lists I have looked at.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a Tecumseh carb, either series 6 or 8. Can you post a couple of pics of the carb and the plastic piece you are talking about. To my knowledge neither has a plastic part you are describing.

hubot

Forum Newbie
Threads
The float bowl is stamped Tecumseh and the body shows a model number: "5028 A 7Z"
On more careful examination of the plastic (this time with my glasses on) I see that it was likely not factory made. Likely an effort to provide a bit of choke to a dirty carb. I will attempt to attach photo. By the way, machine works OK with clean carb and without the plastic.
The 5028 has me stymied. Was there a series 5 carburetor?
Thank you for your reply.
Hugh_DSC0262.jpg_DSC0262.jpg