DIY Robotic Lawn Mower (build log)

Tommy

Threads
For years I'v worked on a Robotic platform that could deal with Snow, leaf removal, and mowing grass.
but with little Success(but lots of entertainment).

So this year I'm working on a dedicated mowing platform.

I found a sweet mower on Graigslist with a blown engine so it was cheap(because I'm semiretired cheap is a requirement)

mower1.PNG

Then I found a engine and PTO clutch also on Graigslist.
mower2.PNG mower3.PNG

I was able to get the engine running, but it was crap(but it was cheap), I think the crankcase bushing is bad
and I looking for a different engine.

the Clutch worked sweet!

after 2 months of looking and 2 rolls of ducktape I have a platform that should
work.

IMG_4697.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Tommy

Last edited:

Tommy

Threads
tested using LED lights and camera to align the gyro.

Tommy

Padroo

Threads
I like your idea and have thought about it myself. I have all the skills to put one together and have an electrical background but not in design. I have been in the RC airplane hobby about a year and a half and some of that knowledge would be useful. What is your background?

Tommy

Threads
Padroo, my day job for last 30+yrs has been as a systems engineer for the manufacturing industries.
but, IMO most of my skills came from growing up next to a large county dump in the 60's. this was
before landfills and dumpsters, when a kid could scavenge for old TVs, radios ,telephones and tape
players then spend hours at home wiring them together to see what happens(priceless education, and lots of fun).

even as a kid I could fix a lot of broken TVs because of the vacuum tubes, you could just look at them to
see if it was working or not(sweet).

Tommy