John Deere L130A

GrassInPA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

Looking for help into a problem that's out of my comfort zone. I have a JD L130A (ID #GXL130A154243) with the 48 inch deck. I was changing the blades the other day and noticed that the spindle was loose on the one blade. That brings to my first question....is it better to replace all three at the same time? They are all original as far as I know. I think I messed this one up by hitting a fence post that was barely above ground.

Second, the mower seems to blow out a big puff of smoke when I first start it up from a cold start when the choke is all the way open or after I let it sit for a few minutes after running it. If I turn it off and then back on it doesn't do anything at all. I drained the oil two weeks ago and put a new filter on it as well. Filled it back up with two quarts of 10W30. The one plug did look a little dark when I changed it. The engine in it is the Kohler Command 23 HP ( model - BG20253 and SN - 3508902651).

Where would be the best place to get a rebuild kit for the engine? I want to take care of this tractor so it lasts a while. Also, where can I get the spindles and all the other misc. parts I need?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are pretty handy you can replace the bearings in those spindles. Buy the bearings, pack of 10, for about $20 on Ebay. Need to be sure the spindle is not bent though.
Also get a kit with the spindles and parts for not a whole lot of money there too. That motor is noted for smoke on cold start up, mine does the same thing. Some say to let it idle a bit before shutting down, others say to just shut it down with the engine revved. My storage shed has a ramp inside it so I started parking the mower with the front pointed uphill, keeps the oil away from the valve guides/seals where the problem probably is. Usually starts with no smoke. Just a quick choke when starting. I'm near 600 hours, engine runs great and uses no oil, now on second transmissioin.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All of the aftemarket parts companies , Oregon, Stens, Prime Line & Rotary do replacement spindles, complete, bearing or shaft.
usually you just replace the bearings, they are standard items and again the above mentioned companies stock quality bearings.
All of them have store finders on their web sites.

Do not try to remove the housing , unless the housing is being replaced as generally the bolts snap off.
Pulley off the top then drive the spindle out, blades can stay on.