B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!
Re: B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

I have stayed out of this one as every man & his dog seemed to be posting and it just get confusing.

SO you removed the engine, flipped it upside down ripped off the sump, replaced the gasket then flipped it back up and installed it in the mower.
It cranks but does not start, just gives some small backfires .

So
1) did you pull the flywheel or leave it on ?
2) why were you replacing the gaskets ?

now for the diagnosis.
pull the blower housing off & set it aside
Remover both plugs and get some new ones.
remove the kill wires from the magneto coils
put a SHORT shot of starter fluid into each plug hole then replace the plugs ( do one at a time )
crank the engine
If it runs a few revolutions then repeat, with each side by itself and one plug removed.
Again if it runs a few revolutions then you have confirmed the ignition timing is good & the exhaust valves are working

Do the same, both cylinders then one at a time but spraying the SHORT SHOTS of carb cleaner down the throat of the carb
If it runs on the carb cleaner then that shows the inlet valves are working.

If you can keep the engine running with repeated short shots down the carb then the problem is in the mower or the fuel system.
Replace the kill wires & repeat test
Engine does not run then you have a wiring problem in the mower.

If all this fails the whip off the rocker covers.
And check the operation of the valves with respect to the piston position.

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!
What happened on this engine? That’s it? He gave up? I am going to see if I can’t track wegdeone Down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Zuke,
Often happens
People get fed up & replace he engine or the complete mower or finally work out what was wrong & don't come back to let every body know the final outcome.
Now the next question is why do you want to know ?
Revising the entire thread, if he was doing what he was asked to do and the results are what he typed then the valve timing is off.
While he says he did not take the cam out , it is driven by a gear at the bottom of the engine on the crank and without the sump on the crank can turn without turning the cam .
Had he gotten back, the next thing I would have suggested was running a piece of masking tape around the edge of the flywheel and rotating the engine marking the opening & closing of the valves plus top dead center on the tape.
Also mark when the magnets are opposite each coil
I use the edge of the magneto coil to run a pencil up to make the mark.
Does not matter what you use or where it is just so long as it is the same place every time.
Then you peel it off and check that the inlet has closed before the corresponding coil had the magnet go past.
It is wery easy to get the timing wrong & I have found this is the easiest way to check it.
I do about 1 engine split every 2 months or so and still manage to time twins on the wrong cylinder every now & then