Model 612 Grasshopper

1mk2

Threads
Hello my name is Mike and I recently purchased a used Grasshopper Model 612 with a 44 inch rear discharge mower. It is in really good shape for an older mower and recently had a new engine put in. I am the caregiver for my elderly parents and am quite busy taking care of them both so as I get a chance I will be looking at the forum and asking questions from time to time. One thing I went through was taking off the mower deck which was quite easy but putting it back on was a real treat and I couldn't have done it without help, would be interested in any tricks to doing this if anyone has this old a mower and has knowledge of doing this.

Mike

P.S. Would love to get a snowblower for it if anyone knows where I could find one.

BWH

Threads
I had a 612 some years ago it was a side discharge deck which would be the same mounting as yours, the best way was to find a couple of blocks of wood that would just fit under the rear lip of the deck then raise the deck to the highest position then install the blocks under the rear mower flange and lower the deck onto the blocks leaving neutral weight on the mounting attachment. This make the reattachment very easy to reattach. I had made a set of dolly wheels that were perfect height to slide into the 2" cross tube of the deck that pinned in and would do the same as the blocks of wood only they would allow you to easily roll the deck around when removed from the power unit.

BWH

Threads
P.S. I do have a snow blower for the 612 but it fits a wide variety grasshoppers including my 725DT. I did have to get the new style mounting bracket but it works across the various sizes. I do see them on Craig's List from time to time.

1mk2

Threads
I had a 612 some years ago it was a side discharge deck which would be the same mounting as yours, the best way was to find a couple of blocks of wood that would just fit under the rear lip of the deck then raise the deck to the highest position then install the blocks under the rear mower flange and lower the deck onto the blocks leaving neutral weight on the mounting attachment. This make the reattachment very easy to reattach. I had made a set of dolly wheels that were perfect height to slide into the 2" cross tube of the deck that pinned in and would do the same as the blocks of wood only they would allow you to easily roll the deck around when removed from the power unit.

Thanks so much for your reply I am going to give that a try.

1mk2

Threads
P.S. I do have a snow blower for the 612 but it fits a wide variety grasshoppers including my 725DT. I did have to get the new style mounting bracket but it works across the various sizes. I do see them on Craig's List from time to time.

Thanks so much for your reply, I will keep an eye out for one on Craig's list and hopefully find one before this winter.

1mk2

Threads

I was wondering if you could tell me what model snowblower will fit my 612? If I understand correctly a 48 inch would be the largest snowblower my 612 would accept. Would any 48 inch grasshopper snowblower work if I had the new style mounting bracket you spoke of?

Thanks,

Mike

BWH

Threads
I was wondering if you could tell me what model snowblower will fit my 612? If I understand correctly a 48 inch would be the largest snowblower my 612 would accept. Would any 48 inch grasshopper snowblower work if I had the new style mounting bracket you spoke of?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been out of commission for a while.

I believe that the model 412 was 48" they did make a 60" also but it was an animal that didn't fit a sidewalk very well and from the stories you really needed a 700 series to get around with it. with all of that said you need a model 412 - 48". As far as the mount the older attachments simply used a pin on each side to attach the unit, in 1995 Grasshopper went to the new style where it was more of a quick attach mount but more importantly it had a neoprene bushing mount that could be replaced when it wore and become sloppy. The old pin style mount would wear also but the problem was not only the pin wearing but the holes on the front of the machine would wear with the only solution to drill out to a larger size, this could only be done a couple of times to tighten the deck up.

Well that was a long story but you will easily be able to identify by looking which mount you have, I bought a new style for my model 412 a number of years ago from my dealer for around $100. I did see a couple model 412 - 48" sell last year on line one $600 the other $900 I'm sure they are around if you could find them stored in the back of garages pretty reasonable if you could find them.

Good Luck

1mk2

Threads
Mike,
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been out of commission for a while.

I believe that the model 412 was 48" they did make a 60" also but it was an animal that didn't fit a sidewalk very well and from the stories you really needed a 700 series to get around with it. with all of that said you need a model 412 - 48". As far as the mount the older attachments simply used a pin on each side to attach the unit, in 1995 Grasshopper went to the new style where it was more of a quick attach mount but more importantly it had a neoprene bushing mount that could be replaced when it wore and become sloppy. The old pin style mount would wear also but the problem was not only the pin wearing but the holes on the front of the machine would wear with the only solution to drill out to a larger size, this could only be done a couple of times to tighten the deck up.

Well that was a long story but you will easily be able to identify by looking which mount you have, I bought a new style for my model 412 a number of years ago from my dealer for around $100. I did see a couple model 412 - 48" sell last year on line one $600 the other $900 I'm sure they are around if you could find them stored in the back of garages pretty reasonable if you could find them.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for the reply it is very informative and helps me a lot to understand my model. I have the old pin style. I have seen some 412 snow blowers for sale but not close by or even in the state which I live (Pa.). I am the caregiver for my parents and am not able to travel any distance since they are very dependent on me, both are in their nineties so I am keeping an eye out for one that would be no more then a few hours from here but right now haven't seen any for sale on craigs list or ebay. I would grab one quick at the prices you seen them for.

With your help at least I know what model I am looking for and that I will need the new style mount if I am fortunate enough to find one.

Thanks much.

Mike

BWH

Threads
Thanks so much for the reply it is very informative and helps me a lot to understand my model. I have the old pin style. I have seen some 412 snow blowers for sale but not close by or even in the state which I live (Pa.). I am the caregiver for my parents and am not able to travel any distance since they are very dependent on me, both are in their nineties so I am keeping an eye out for one that would be no more then a few hours from here but right now haven't seen any for sale on craigs list or ebay. I would grab one quick at the prices you seen them for.

With your help at least I know what model I am looking for and that I will need the new style mount if I am fortunate enough to find one.

Thanks much.

Mike

GOOD LUCK SEARCHING!

1mk2

Threads
This is the first I got a chance to look at the grasshopper because of other responsibilities I had. In order to get to the guard and get the front face of the engine off so I can get access to my carburetor I must take off the drive shaft. Keep in mind this is an older Grasshopper model 612 (1991-1992), before I attempt to remove the shaft is there anything I need to know that could cause me problems I am not aware of. Are there any adjustments I must make note of or any springs that I must be careful not to lose etc,
Below is a pictures of the shaft at both ends.
Thanks so much.

Drive shaft B.jpgDrive shaft A.jpg