Model 612 Grasshopper

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No silicone should be on the mount or shaft. No idea why someone would put that on. Clean it all off.

1mk2

Threads
No silicone should be on the mount or shaft. No idea why someone would put that on. Clean it all off.

?????????????????????????????????? I have no idea what you are talking about.??????????????????????????????????

BWH

Threads
This is the first I got a chance to look at the grasshopper because of other responsibilities I had. In order to get to the guard and get the front face of the engine off so I can get access to my carburetor I must take off the drive shaft. Keep in mind this is an older Grasshopper model 612 (1991-1992), before I attempt to remove the shaft is there anything I need to know that could cause me problems I am not aware of. Are there any adjustments I must make note of or any springs that I must be careful not to lose etc,
Below is a pictures of the shaft at both ends.
Thanks so much.

View attachment 40752View attachment 40753

I always kept the orientation of the shaft for balance but I'm really not sure that it was necessary. It's a snug fit but you can work it right off.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like silicone to me but I could be wrong.
grasshopper.jpg

1mk2

Threads
I always kept the orientation of the shaft for balance but I'm really not sure that it was necessary. It's a snug fit but you can work it right off.

Thanks, I have a tight schedule this week but as soon as I can I will pull the shaft and get the carburetor off and clean it. I will take note of the position of the shaft of course and everything else I remove.

Thanks again.

Mike

1mk2

Threads
Thanks, I have a tight schedule this week but as soon as I can I will pull the shaft and get the carburetor off and clean it. I will take note of the position of the shaft of course and everything else I remove.

Thanks again.

Mike

What did I do wrong? I cleaned the carb and put it back on and started it and it runs at low throttle but when I put it up to full throttle it chokes out and stops like as if it is getting too much gas. I am saying too much gas because when I took off the top of the carb the bowl was full of gas.

1mk2

Threads
Thought I'd let everyone know how I made out with my grasshopper running rough. I tried everything everyone was kind enough to pass on to me that I was able to. I put all new gas lines on checked line into the gas tank and tried to remove the carb but the further I got the more I was uncomfortable doing. I got as far as removing the drive shaft and then took off the screen protecting the fly wheel only to find out I still couldn't get the engine shield off unless I pulled off the fly wheel and decided to stop at that point since with the responsibility I have of be care giver for both parents. MY dad has dementia and if he is left alone for too long he can get into all sorts of trouble. I did clean the carb the best I could. As I was working I moved a black wire that was coming from in under the engine shield and heard something snap like electric so I moved it and heard it again. It is a single wire and it connects to another wire by a plug in connection. I disconnected it and noticed dry dirt puff off so maybe some got into the connection I am not sure if that was it or if there is a short in under the shield where it goes. I am not sure where it goes to, the stater?? it is only one wire and every diagram I look at shows two wires coming off the stater so I am not sure what it is. I've tried making it make the noise again and didn't hear anything so I not sure now if it was the connection or if there is a short somewhere. Again I would have to have the engine shield off to see, I did run it and at low idle it hunts a little but at full idle it was running fine.

I did manage to fine a very nice snow blower for it and am waiting the the dealing to get me the new quick connect mount so I can attach it. I also need to get chains for my tires. I am hoping the engine runs good for this winter and if I have to I will take it to have it looked at this spring but it is running good for the time I have ran it, of course I don't need to mow anymore now so I am not using it except to see how it is running.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Mike