Oil getting into the air filter

blacktrain

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 21hp Briggs Vanguard twin cylinder on a Simplicity zero turn. Model#385777 Type#0116-E1 Code#05082911 I am getting a large amount of oil in the air filter. Would this be caused by a bad head gasket? The valve cover with the crankcase vent and reed valve are new, because I thought maybe that was the problem, but after changing that I still have the problem. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

dfbroxy

Threads
Have you checked your oil level to be sure its not overfilled? Too much oil means more crankcase pressure and it has to go somewhere. On a briggs check oil with dipstick screwed in. And yes it could be a blown headgasket. Run the engine untill it is warm. Shut it off and remove oil dipstick. If smoke comes out there is a blown gasket.

dave t

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my Vanguard 18 hp twin model # 354447. My motor runs fine without any smoking, but it seems that the carburetor sucks oil out of the breather vent hose that terminates in the air cleaner box. I rerouted the hose to exit outside the air box and there was no oil spitting out. what did you do to solve your problem?
thanks dave t

Tinkerer200

Threads
I have the same problem with my Vanguard 18 hp twin model # 354447. My motor runs fine without any smoking, but it seems that the carburetor sucks oil out of the breather vent hose that terminates in the air cleaner box. I rerouted the hose to exit outside the air box and there was no oil spitting out. what did you do to solve your problem?
thanks dave t

With that hose venting outside the air box you are sucking raw unfiltered air, dust and all, into your engine, not good.

Walt Conner