Honda Mower Seems to be out of time

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the move to Honda forum I think someone there wlll give you detailed advice.

Rednec

Threads
I'm still fighting the battle and I think it is going to win. I'm beginning to wonder if the flywheel keyway in the crankshaft I bought could be off just a little bit causing it to be out of time just enough to kick back when trying to start it. I did figure out that when I shut the engine off if I will turn the gas off and let it burn all the fuel out of the carb then when I get ready to start the next time that It does not kick back. Maybe that is customary with an engine that is out of time, I don't know. I hate to tear the engine down again and replace a new crankshaft but I've about exhausted every idea that I can think of that could be causing this other than a mismanufactured crank. Does anyone have any other ideas as to why I would be getting the kickback other than being out of time and is there anyway to correct this other than replacing the crankshaft?

Russ2251

Threads
Did you try to start it with blade engaged?

Russ2251

Threads
Here are correct timing pics for any GCV Honda:
GCV 160 A.jpgGCV 160 B.jpg

Rednec

Threads
Here are correct timing pics for any GCV Honda:
View attachment 39924View attachment 39925

That is the first time I have seen the picture of the crankshaft with the arrow on it. What I had seen is lining the keyway slot on the crank with the centerline of the block which I think is basically the same. I guess I am going to have to tear it down again and I will check the arrow at that time. Thanks for the info. Fortunately I still have the old crank that was bent and I will compare everything including the position of the flywheel keyway with the new crank. I appreciate your efforts and knowledge on this.

wackjeber

Forum Newbie
Threads
This may or may not help, but I've had a couple of GCVs start kicking back on start-up and a tight-ish valve adjustment fixed them. Thought it might be worth a try before tearing the engine back apart.