2 stroke fuel lines, weedwhacker/blower

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a ten year old Craftsman blower, big old machine, powerful. Quit running last year, bought a new carb, fuel lines and filter. Running great until today. Pulled out the line, filter came off. Line was split. Putting the filter back on and the line just splits, roll the line between my fingers and it splits. Still looks new, nice and clear. Is this a common thing these days? Is there different qualities in these lines? A type or spec. to look for? I'm kind of lost here. Like to find some fuel line that lasts, if possible.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you running ethanol gasoline?

If you are, and can find non-ethanol gas nearby, replace your lines and quit using ethanol. https://www.pure-gas.org/

If you must continue to use ethanol gas, replace your lines and be sure to ask for lines that are compatible with with ethanol.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generally use BP mid grade gas in everything, probably 10% ethanol I'd guess. Where I live I doubt there is any place that carries pure fuel, especially a fresh supply. Thinking maybe I need to put a larger piece of hose over the main line, put the line of the filter barb, then slide the larger piece over this to reinforce it. That filter seems like a big stretch for the small line. Looked on Amazon and lots of critical replies on this situation. Thanks for your reply! Tom.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to buy TYGON ( yellow ) ethanol resistant fuel line from your local lawn equipment dealer, ( I have found it at ACE Hardware stores also ) see attached pic ........

DSCN2477.jpg ...... it comes in various sizes to suit your needs

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And double check the INNER size as the line to the fuel filter is heavy walled while the return line has 1/2 the wall thickness.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The supply line on this engine was a small line, bit over 1/8" OD, the return was a larger line, maybe 3/16. But the line would split if I just rolled it between my fingers. Was the clear yellow line that was listed as a Tygon fuel line kit. I guess it was just my luck, two strokes don't like me very well these days. I was thinking maybe there are different grades of this stuff - best, better, good, and Chinese.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm seeing this line described as Tygon 4040, and others as only plastic fuel line or poly(something). I suppose the failed line was the cheapest stuff I could find and maybe not actually the Tygon spec. lines? Should have done some research before buying the cheap stuff. I guess I was right, best, better, good, and Chinese grades - and I bought the last maybe. And these little machines are kind of tough to work on for this deal. Life is just full of lessons.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The splitting of the line at the filter and just coming apart when touched is common including the tygon lines. the new low perm stuff is even worse to split it seems, and doesn't stretch over the filter barbs very well.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A little trick is BEFORE trying to install the smaller Diameter hose's, is to heat the end in boiling water for a minute or so, AND apply a tad bit of Vaseline or grease to the barb fitting it's going onto, works GREAT for me....... Boo

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
A little trick is BEFORE trying to install the smaller Diameter hose's, is to heat the end in boiling water for a minute or so, AND apply a tad bit of Vaseline or grease to the barb fitting it's going onto, works GREAT for me....... Boo

I'll give that a try with new line. Might also shave off some of the larger part of the barb, won't leave along side the road if it comes off anyway.